Author Topic: We need an official statement on textures  (Read 2273 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
We need an official statement on textures
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:49 AM »
And it needs to be soon.

Are Sunman's textures allowed? Will they ever cause any dilemna?

Looking at the Clan Leaderboard thread you see people using such different textures. And yes, they're all far more advantageous than Jitspoes. I recently switched to jitspoe's cause someone commented on my grass texture. But it makes no sense to switch if it's not enforced since you just play at a disadvantage...

It's stupid to play "legal" (jitspoes textures) to be in the minority at a disadvantage. If Sunman's textures are legal (with the same bright grass on ever map) - which I assume they are since nobody has been banned for them.

Since Jitspoe's textures likely wont be enforced for another year or so (and when they are every european will rage saying they're quitting) I would just like to know if it will be ever possible to get banned for Sunman's textures before another enforced pack is out?

Jitspoe, you wrote before that anything more advantageous than default can get you banned... which Sunman's clearly is. But if you were to ban people for it, you'd likely ban 75% of IRC/Forum users. Yet your black/white screenshot showed it is a HUGE advantage in comparison to yours. What's the verdict?

TL;DR: if I switch to Sunman's, or Selda's, or whomevers is the most popular pack at the moment: Is there a chance I get banned?

(Ideally looking for Jitspoe, and committee members opinions. So please don't post here to spam "jitspoes textures suck" - or anything useless. Looking for an intelligent discussion, and a final response from Jitspoe.)

UnRateD

• Autococker
Re: We need an official statement on textures
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:13:57 AM »
Jits said this on the other thread, Ill leave it here until he gives an official update of some sort.

''As a general rule of thumb:

Take a screenshot.

gl_highres_textures 0
vid_restart

Take another screenshot and compare the two.

If the textures look pretty close, you should be fine.  If not, you should probably change them.  If you really like the textures and feel they're better than the official textures, post about that texture (or textures) in the official HR4 pack thread.  In the mean time, I guess you can post a screenshot of the low res and textures you want side by side here, but I'd much rather focus on improving the official pack rather than approving alternatives.

Really, everybody should use the official HR4 pack as a base and only use custom hr4 textures for the textures that have not been completed yet.  Provide feedback on the textures you don't like.  When the official pack is completed and enforced, you really have no right to complain if you provided no feedback.''

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
unrated, I'm aware Jitspoe posted that - Sunman's don't resemble the default textures but probably 75% of the competitive community uses them. That's why we need a statement. Are we going to come on one day to everyone banned? I want to know if I can use those textures, because:

1) I feel using Jitspoe's does put you at a disadvantage when everyone uses those
2) Although I like Jitspoe's texture I prefer the look of clean textures instead of detailed

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »
Yeah, I understand, just posted that for visibility in this thread since its related.

Now its best to just wait for him to post some sort of official announcement from what hes seen, which is likely to be either 0 tolerance or an indication of what is legal in which popular texture pack.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
I'm actively discussing aveirik's ban and related texture issues with the committee now.  It's not an easy decision.  It would be cool if we could just let the community run free and create cool textures and such, but it's pretty obvious people are going to abuse that and push the limits on what's acceptable, making/selecting textures based on visibility instead of visual quality.  I really wanted to have a more complete highres texture set before "forcing" it.  I also wanted to put up a page on the wiki with side by side pictures of the original textures and various (legal) high-res versions.  Sadly, the wiki isn't really fully operational yet.  Webhead and ViciouZ were working on it for a while but had some trouble getting it to work with the website theme.

The light barrels are certainly a no-go.  Anyone I catch using those gets a warning.  If they continue to use them, a ban is in order (though appropriate ban times are still being discussed).

I would say it's time to enforce the official hr4 grass textures as well, but given the feedback recently, I'll try to make some improvements to it, first.  In the mean time, you should make sure you're using a grass texture that is reasonably close to the original texture.  I'll probably start warning people using super light grass textures soon.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 06:22:15 AM »
@jitspoe- Why not just make a thread that will state what texture packs are legal (maybe with links), and give a brief statement/warning about useing any other textures or moddifing textures

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »
@jitspoe- Why not just make a thread that will state what texture packs are legal (maybe with links), and give a brief statement/warning about useing any other textures or moddifing textures

Please learn to read. Myers asked for exactly the same and Jitspoe replied to his question.

I'm actively discussing aveirik's ban and related texture issues with the committee now.  It's not an easy decision.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »
aveirik's ban

I am wondering if any committee or jitspoe will ever answer my questions.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
I am wondering if any committee or jitspoe will ever answer my questions.

We are discussing it.  Committee isn't the fastest thing in the world.  I can try to answer any questions you have on irc.
I just had a little talk with Smacker, maybe some of your questions were answered in that conversation.