Author Topic: Frozen Crystals by Open_War (Beta 4)  (Read 9626 times)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: Frozen Crystals by Open_War (Beta 4)
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 05:30:21 PM »
You got feed back from FRIENDS. Enough said there, this is not a matching map. It takes no skills and I can cap on newbies all day on it. The ice is dumb. Why would you even go low? It's useless. Your bd path is terrible, and completely useless. The ballance of the paths are not good. That's why I said a decent pub map. It won't ever make it in the match scene. Take your time with future maps, have god players beta test them and not friends. Friends won't tell you what's wrong and will only say good job. No offense your friends probably don't understand game play or what a nice map actually is.

I'm not the best mapper my terrain sucks but my maps were and still are played everyday. Just don't rush a map for the sake of finishing it. Draw it if you need to. Make ballenced paths. BD doesn't need to be a mile long. Idk why baseball dude says it should be longer. It's an alternative path to counter camping. If you make it longer guess what you can still camp easy.

Not to be a complete detective but that's why this map and baseballdudes won't ever get played. Yes it looks alright and yes your mapping is getting better but your in game knowledge of game play and where to put what paths are horrible. You both can't ballence anything in your maps at all.

I have no motivation to map but seeing the stuff you guys release now makes me want to put time into terrain and make a map again. I could make a map in a few hours and it would get played before neon, New York, Legos or this.
I never said anything about BD needing to be longer. I said it should be slightly longer THAN THE OTHER PATHS. Then I criticized it because it was WAY longer than the other paths. Stop putting words into my mouth.

I never designed my first two real maps (neon and new york) to get into the matching scene. They're pub maps.

If you feel like mapping again, go for it! You're a gameplay genius, all you need is for JMR or DT to teach you some terraining skills.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 07:46:47 PM »
Quit getting off-topic about BASEBALLDUDE's maps and try to add helping suggestions to Open_War's.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »
Lazers this has nothing to do with you. Telling me about posting useless excrement when you have almost as many posts as I do in one year vs 10 plus. I've always been nice to you and had your back. For once shut up I have posted criticism for this map and backed up my facts and what other people say and why I don't think it makes sense.

You tell people nice work when the maps look like garbage. Clearly you have little knowledge in the mapping area. I'm done sticking up for you all the time when people excrement on you. Also count your 210 servers as done for. You should speak when spoken to or have actual input not to just raise your post count as be annoying as intercourse.

But honestly I've seen alot of progress in baseball dudes maps. Open war doesn't like suggestions seeing he has said he won't change things. Baseball you just need to start smaller, then go bigger.  I'd like to work with you at somepoint.

Also jmr over does his terrain IMO so it can look even more unnatural then some flat surfaces. He has come a long way too.

I would give more suggestions to open war but he's very stubborn. Just like myself! If he's going to be stubborn ill continue to rip apart the useless excrement he does, and continue to explain why ice is dumb and ruins almost every map.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »
Lazers this has nothing to do with you. Telling me about posting useless excrement when you have almost as many posts as I do in one year vs 10 plus. I've always been nice to you and had your back. For once shut up I have posted criticism for this map and backed up my facts and what other people say and why I don't think it makes sense.
I love the fact that you're giving out feedback! I wish I could do the same. Sadly, I am not good with mapping. (As you can see)

EDIT: I guess I was being the stupid one here; thought you were talking about neon, not this map. Sorry for accusing you - I shouldn't even post here. I should leave this game for a while so I don't spam the forums anymore.

I know you've stuck up to me, thanks! It was very helpful. I was tired today and really just wanted to come on here to see what's up. My exhausted self resulted in me misreading this whole conversation. I'm usually better than this in real life. I guess I should go real life paintballing more often (Now that I got a paintball gun) instead of playing here and rotting my brain out for hours on a screen. Go ahead and take away what you've given me, including your servers. I won't bother you - or anyone - in this community anymore. I guess all this time I thought I was helping for once, but no, whatever. Originally I thought I'd never speak to anyone of such a high ranking in this game, I would just play and be a newbie getting the most kills on the server! But here I am, speaking and upsetting an experienced mapper and committee member of this very game. Wait a minute... Why I am even writing this?

Oh right, to apologize.

Anyway, about the map, I don't like maps with so much white. It reminds me of ice, which reminds me of going really fast. I don't want to go too fast in this map, and I suggest you listen to other people's opinions. (especially those with greater knowledge about the subject) I mean, ice maps are run to just mess around with, but do you really think a map like this will be played often? The only one I know is tatras, but that's only a matching map. And in this game, there are far less matchers than pubbers in the DP scene. That's only my, a person who "clearly has little knowledge in the mapping area", opinion, however. It's fine if you don't listen to me. But listen to people like Clipz, please! At least he knows what he's talking about!

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »
Didn't mean to make u want to leave, just got ticked off for a second there. No need to apologize. I'm just drunk and being a detective :p I won't take the servers down don't worry. Didn't mean to be a complete douche. If anyone should apologize it should be me, not you.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the color white. White is not actually a color at all, but the combination of all colors on the spectrum. Therefore white is the ultimate color and should be used in abundance. This map is fine aesthetically; I can easily tell difference between snow and ice; you should focus on gameplay for now.

On a side note, would you mind posting those crystals as brushes on Rick's thread in the mapping forum? I am inspired by this map and would like to create something using brushes shaped like those, but I'm feeling too lazy to construct those brushes myself.

promarijan

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »
Here you go Baseballdude!

I made those crystals behind the map in my mind to have it easy to copy!
Just start mapping with this .map file and then use the crystals how you want them ;D

And whats up to you Clipz you should really shut the intercourse up! Stop spamming your poor face into this post and stop flaming! You suck!

Thread is closed i will continue on OTBforums!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
It sounds like hopefully you and Clipz have come to an understanding on the OTB forums.  I know it was wrong for him to rage at you, but he and others have made valid points, and I think it's good for you to to get as much feedback from people as possible so you can make some really awesome maps, so I'm unlocking this thread.  If you really don't want to hear any other feedback on this map, you can lock it again.

Here are some things I've noticed from playing the map:

- Having the path blocked off on the other side of the ramp is really annoying.  If you miss that jump and want to run back to the base, you have to take the slow, side path.  By then, the enemy has already run off with your flag and there's nothing you can do about it.
- Jump mentioned above is fairly easy to miss.  I kept hitting the metal platform and coming to a complete stop.
- r_speeds from the right side of the base are really high.  Some hint brushes to block off the reflective water would probably help a lot.  You might have to change the layout slightly to improve vis blocking.
- Walls on the side of the map are really low.  When you're on the high path, it looks like you should just be able to easily jump onto them, even without trick jumps.  Perhaps you could alter them to make it look more like a barrier that you can't get onto.
- Paths almost never cross.  If you take the ice from base or high right path (fastest 2 paths), and the enemy does the same, you're constantly going in circles.  Perhaps it's different with more people, but 1v1/2v2, it's difficult for this not to just be a quick capfest without much engagement.

I can make a demo detailing some of the issues later, if you'd like.  I'm trying to catch up on beta maps right now, though, so I'm not being super thorough.

promarijan

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
@Clipz nothing against you but maybe you spend your time on better posts... Just my opinion

OK! I thought about it and i really dont know how to expand this map realistic and good... On this map its way more difficult to expand than in another map such as LBricks3...

Oh and wait now i remember... I have a beta5 on my PC that isnt done yet... In beta 5 you can get from low to "anti-speed" because i made the ramp higher...
This would kind of make lowspeed and highspeed crossing in one direction...

I fixed a few weird looking things too! Some things that the guys told me on the OTBforums.

I have to look forward what to do next! Maybe i first do Lost Bricks 3 and then return to this map here!