Author Topic: How Can the Community Help?  (Read 11988 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
How Can the Community Help?
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I've  had some requests to post ways in which members of the community can help.  First off, I'll say the easiest way to help is by providing constructive feedback.

For the more technical stuff, I'll provide a breakdown of the first page of the feature vote:

Demo Playback Controls
 - Technically possible for anybody to work on, but requires some solid knowledge of the Q2 networking code.
Clan "Logos" on Jerseys
 - Most of this should be possible, but it may require me to do some things to communicate with the game code so other players can see it.  On a side note, this may be a good unlockable feature if we add an XP system to give people an incentive to level up.
Better Bot AI
 - This is something I need to do, but I plan on making it open so other people can easily work on it.
Kill-Cam
 - Should be possible to do most of this, but I might have to interface with the game code for some of it.  Worst case it could be implemented in the Q2 game dll so I could just copy the code over.  Again, it would require some in-depth understanding of the Q2 networking.
Female Player Model
 - A skilled character artist could do this.
Ranking System
 - I'd likely have to do most of this as it's mostly dplogin server stuff.
High-Polygon Weapon Models
 - Anybody with decent 3D modelling skills should be able to do this.  I've started on a couple and have the actual weapons for reference, though.
Player Search Function
 - Anybody.
Ragdoll Physics
 - If done client side (probably the easiest way), it should be possible for anybody to add this to the engine.
Names on Jerseys
 - Should be possible for anybody to do this, but it would require some extensive texture mapping knowledge.
(Optional?) In-Game Ads to Support Development Costs
 - Something I'd have to do
Map Voting Adjustments
 - Mine.
New Map Format
 - Open to anybody, but it would be a massive undertaking, most likely.
High Resolution Item Textures
 - Should be paired with the high-poly weapons.  Open to anybody, but I already have a lot of resources for them.
Global Login Clan-Based Auto-Specinvite
 - Mine
Grenade Toss Animation
 - Not sure on this one.  I don't have a good idea on how to implement it since the grenades are instantly thrown.
Hints and Tips
 - Open to anybody.  We probably need a map loading screen first.
Server-Side Demo Playback
 - Open to anybody.
Bump/Normal Mapping
 - Anybody.
Stop Disconnects from Preventing Flag Captures
 - Mine.
Improve Smoke Grenades
 - Somebody could work on a new effect, but I'd likely have to call that effect from the game code.  Most of the work would be in the effect itself, though.
Download Textures Required by RScripts
 - I think this could be done by anybody.  Should all be engine code.
Command to Retrieve All Names Registered to a Login ID Number
 - I'd probably have to do this one.
Extend Ignore and Specinvite Commands to Include Team Colors
 - Mine.
Improved 3D Sound (OpenAL)
 - Anybody.
Break Game Code Up Into Multiple (Open-Sourced) Libraries
 - Mine (related to the bot AI)
Map Option to Reset Entities Every Round
 - Mine.
More Visible MOTD
 - Anybody, though I might do this for B37 with some of the new UI stuff I'm adding.
Team-Specific Entities
 - Mine
Auto-Delete Non-Activated DPLogin Accounts
 - Mine.
Vote Kick
 - Mine.
Query API for Global Login System
 - Mine.
Make Reflective Water Account for Flow Direction
 - Anybody.
Multi-Column List Widgets
 - Anybody.
Log Admin Name when Player is Kicked
 - Mine, I think.
Animation Blending
 - Anybody, but would require some extensive animation programming knowledge.
Clan Administration Event Logging
 - Mine.
Revisit Spawning Code
 - Mine.
Clan Expiration
 - Mine.
Xfire Name on Global Login System Profile
 - Mine.
Update Screenshots
 - T3RR0R15T is already helping out with this one.
Prevent Pong Ball from Passing Through Players
 - Mine.
Additional Trial Training Clan Tag/Group
 - Mine.
Require Play Time to Create/Join Clans and Vote
 - Might already be implemented...
Global Login Based Server Bans
 - Mine.
Player Search Function for In-Game Server Browser
 - Anybody.
Shadows from .SKM models
 - Anybody.
Include Zorch's menus
 - Menus are probably going to get an overhaul, soon.
Particle Collision (To Stop Paint Splats from Flying Through Walls)
 - Anybody.
Highlighting and Copying in Console
 - Anybody.
Don't Remove Streak With Admin Kill / Viewgib
 - Mine.
Dense Foliage Support
 - Anybody.
List Game Mode in Server Browser
 - Not sure on this one.
Round Countdown Timer
 - Mine
AVI Video Export
 - Anybody.
Fix Overflows when Using Maplist Command
 - Mine.
User's National Flag
 - Possibly a mix
Underwater Air Bar Meter
 - Possibly a mix
Reasons for Kicks/Bans
 - Mine
Allow Transparent Transparent Textures to Move with Doors, Trains, Etc.
 - Anybody
Display Current Weapon/Gun on HUD
 - I think this could be hacked on the client side by anybody.
Show Ban History in Global Login Profile
 - Mine
Move Faster in Noclip Observer Mode
 - I think this is possible for anybody to do on the engine side.
Configurable GUI/HUD Images
 - Anybody
Splash Effect When Paintballs Hit Water
 - I'd probably have to trigger the effect, but anybody could work on the effect itself.
Avoid Hogging CPU on Fatal Errors
 - I think this can be done by anybody.
Lock Chasecam to Player
 - Mine
Dead Man Practice Mode
 - Might be possible to do on the client side, but I'd likely have to help with it.
Mute List
 - Probably mine
Prop Physics
 - Possibly anybody, depending on the implementation.
More Player Movement Animations (Strafe, etc.)
 - Likely anybody.
Automatically Change Map After Set Time Period
 - Mine
Mediawiki
 - Anybody... need to get that stuff that webhead started online
Machine-Readable logging for Commands, Chat, Connects, Etc.
 - Could likely be done by anybody at the server engine level.
Jump Mod
 - Community could help with a lot of this, but if we want login support, I'd have to integrate that.
Optimize/Reduce CPU Usage on Server
 - Depending on the parts that need to be optimized, the community might be able to help with this.
Fire and Smoke Particle Emitters
 - Could likely be done on the client by anybody.
Simplify In-Game Login System GUI
 - I'm currently working on this.
More DSM Options
 - Mine.
Reserved Slots for Admin
 - I think this is already implemented by T3RR0R15T.
Global Login Based Ops/Server Login
 - Mine
Phantom Players on Scoreboard
 - I might have already fixed this.
Time Remaining Clock for Demos
 - Anybody
Ability to Add Notes to Clan Join Requests
 - Mine
Option to Display Ping on HUD
 - Anybody
Replace Comical Death/Round/Etc. Sounds
 - Anybody
Fix Add Poll Link on Forums
 - Mine, most likely.
Recoverable Error when a Map Fails to Load
 - Not sure.
Message Box Dialogs
 - Already done by ViciouZ.  Guess I need to close that one.
RCON Command to Get Player Info with Teams
 - Mine
Custom Video Resolutions
 - Anybody
New Text System with Variable Font Support
 - Anybody
ARB Fragment Program (Pixel Shader) Support for Texture Scripts
 - Anybody
Redirect to Feature Vote after Logging In
 - Mine
Show Characters Left for Funname
 - Anybody
Visual Guide Points for Strafe Jumping
 - Anybody
In-Game Map Rating
 - Not sure
First-Time Startup Wizard
 - Anybody
Don't Crash Server with Too Many Entities
 - Probably mine.
Show Registration Dates of Player Names
 - Mine

So, as you can see, there are a lot of things that people could theoretically help out with, but a lot of them require very technical knowledge.  Most require programming at a pretty skilled level.  I think a lot of people have this weird impression that I have some kind of army of skilled programmers and artists just waiting to make things amazing, and I'm denying them access, or that I can just snap my fingers and get talented people to help out but I'm not doing it.

What I have is you guys, and if you want to help out, great!  Just keep in mind that if it takes more time for me to help you help me than it would for me to just do it myself, it doesn't really help me, does it? :)

If you don't have the technical skills, don't worry.  Like I said, the easiest way to help is to provide feedback.  You can also help gather new players by word of mouth.  Don't be annoying about it, but maybe post on forums you frequent when a new version comes out.  Get friends to play.  Get their feedback.  Play beta maps and post feedback in the forums so the mappers can make better maps.  Talk to new players -- tell them all the stuff that makes you like this game and try to get them to stick around.  Get them involved in the community.  Hang out on IRC and actually chat about things related to the game in #paintball.  This only applies to some of you, but stop being so worried about your ego and actively try to do things that make others enjoy playing the game.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: How Can the Community Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
I can't help with the technical stuff, but some feedback for feature votes I've already forgotten should be possible :)

"Map Voting Adjustments" might be a good argument for some players to move back from speed servers that runs a few maps over and over again to public server, where they can vote their favourite maps more easily then.

"Hints and Tips" can help new players besides the tutorial map. I think ingame tips are a lot more helpful than forum tips/guides, because lots of people only play and don't check the forums every day.

"Round Countdown Timer" would also be very useful, especially for new players that don't know the gamemode.

"User's National Flag" would be helpful for new players, too. It's good to know who can help you in your own language.

In my opinion these 4 are very important feature votes for helping to integrate new players (=bigger community) and moving them to "normal" servers. Unfortunately most of this is jitspoe's part. But maybe somebody can try to implement "Hints and Tips" or "User's National Flag".

Btw. what's UI stuff?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »
Reserved Slots for Admin
 - I think this is already implemented by T3RR0R15T.

You're right. The settings are "sv_reserved_slots #" (number of reserved player slots) and "sv_reserved_password $" (password required to access a reserved player slot. Clients should set their 'password' cvar to this). There is only one little bug with it: It shows the real maxclients value (not maxclients - sv_reserved_slots) if i'm on a server and type "info" in the console. The [OTB] public servers have it set for example.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »
Mediawiki
 - Anybody... need to get that stuff that webhead started online

- Open to anybody.  We probably need a map loading screen first.

I can help with these two. How far has webhead come along?

EDIT---And i think you should think about what is more important to do first. Like a priority list.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
More Visible MOTD
 - Anybody, though I might do this for B37 with some of the new UI stuff I'm adding.

I would maybe use a dialog box that have an OK button to close it and it should close itself after a few (5-10, a setting for it would be the best) seconds.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »
About the wiki..  

What is going on with the current wiki?  www.digitalpaint.org/wiki
Is it something you want to keep working on? Or are you looking to start new?
If the current wiki is okay, are you willing to give anyone access to edit/create content for it.

I was looking in to starting a wiki on my website maybe 6 months ago.  I can't remember why I stopped.  I am willing to start working on it again.

Can you give us your thoughts on the wiki Jitspoe?  Should I host a wiki on my website?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
You're right. The settings are "sv_reserved_slots #" (number of reserved player slots) and "sv_reserved_password $" (password required to access a reserved player slot. Clients should set their 'password' cvar to this). There is only one little bug with it: It shows the real maxclients value (not maxclients - sv_reserved_slots) if i'm on a server and type "info" in the console. The [OTB] public servers have it set for example.
Cool.  What build did that make it in?  I might have missed it in the release notes.

As for the wiki, I think ViciouZ had the latest version of it.  I would prefer to have it set up on the official server, as volunteer hosting comes and goes.  I should be able to set up something like wiki.digitalpaint.org and give somebody full admin rights to the site to manage it, and, of course, once it's set up, anybody could contribute to the content.  We might have to restrict registrations, though, just because of the annoying spambots.

I think it's best to discuss the specific features in the appropriate feature vote threads, so all the content regarding the feature/issue is in one place for easy reference.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:50:38 AM »
Cool.  What build did that make it in?  I might have missed it in the release notes.

Build 33.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:51:50 AM »

As for the wiki, I think ViciouZ had the latest version of it.  I would prefer to have it set up on the official server, as volunteer hosting comes and goes.  I should be able to set up something like wiki.digitalpaint.org and give somebody full admin rights to the site to manage it, and, of course, once it's set up, anybody could contribute to the content.  We might have to restrict registrations, though, just because of the annoying spambots.
You already have a wiki that works why don't you just fix it up and let me or T3RR0R15T or Someone that knows something about the game to manage it and to keep track of it etc.
I found it going through some old threads...
http://digitalpaint.org/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Welcome+Page

Plus what is a good program to make models with?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:19:51 AM by deadfroggy »

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »

Better Bot AI
 - This is something I need to do, but I plan on making it open so other people can easily work on it.
sorry for the double post...
Whats your code for it atm?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
I would maybe use a dialog box that have an OK button to close it and it should close itself after a few (5-10, a setting for it would be the best) seconds.
I was thinking of making centerprints show up with a nice dialog background, but not have an OK button.  It wouldn't interfere with gameplay, and would auto-close after a varying amount of time based on how much text was in it.  You could also hit esc to close it immediately.

You already have a wiki that works why don't you just fix it up and let me or T3RR0R15T or Someone that knows something about the game to manage it and to keep track of it etc.
I found it going through some old threads...
http://digitalpaint.org/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Welcome+Page

Plus what is a good program to make models with?
That wiki wasn't very robust and was exceptionally spam prone.  You couldn't upload images, manage accounts, etc.  Some proper wiki software will be a lot better.  ViciouZ is getting that set up now.  I can give others FTP access as well, if need be.

I use Wings3D and Blender for making models.  There are issues with exporting, now, though.  See my thread about IQM: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=25412.0

sorry for the double post...
Whats your code for it atm?
Currently, it's using ACEBots integrated directly into the game dll.  I plan to create a new bot library that will be in its own open-sourced DLL so that other people can contribute.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »

I use Wings3D and Blender for making models.  There are issues with exporting, now, though.  See my thread about IQM: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=25412.0
Currently, it's using ACEBots integrated directly into the game dll.  I plan to create a new bot library that will be in its own open-sourced DLL so that other people can contribute.

Yeah i was using blender yesterday going how the f*** do i export to skm lmao.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »

Yeah i was using blender yesterday going how the f*** do i export to skm lmao.
You first need an smd exporter, I think, then there was a tool to convert that into skm/skp.  It's kind of a pain, as gama was saying in the other thread.  I think I had a forum post with the details on how to do it.  I had to fix the smd exporter at one point, but it probably isn't even compatible with the new version anymore.  Maybe somebody has made a newer smd exporter.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »
Nice list, I got some questions / additions though:

Player Search Function
 - Anybody.
what exactly should be done for that? I think rockitude did that in his serverbrowser: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26679.0

What's the purpose of this? The last time I needed this I just loaded the "Registered Players" site: http://dplogin.com/index.php?action=displaymembers&search=USERID and regex-ed out the registered names and that's not that hard, so i think other things should be focused.

- Anybody.
How can this be done when the in-game server browser is just a menu file? My current idea would be to go through all servers and just check the players, but that's not possible in a menu file AFAIK.

- Anybody
typo error.

By "hacked" you mean modifiying the source code and testing it on a local server until it works, right?

the same as above.

Just to set all needed settings to play the game like key binds and audio and video settings? Any wishes about the language or the GUI toolkit?

About the wiki: Why can't I create an account?
http://wiki.digitalpaint.org/doku.php?id=start&do=login
--> Register
--> I end up being redirected to the referrer site (login page - or this page if you click the link below)
--> copying the link and manually loading the page: http://wiki.digitalpaint.org/doku.php?id=start&do=register doesnt work either, i get a 404 error there.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
Nice list, I got some questions / additions though:

Player Search Function
 - Anybody.
what exactly should be done for that? I think rockitude did that in his serverbrowser: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26679.0
If somebody could port that functionality to the existing server browser, that would be cool.  Rockitude has done some cool things, but I don't want to include or use any software that requires Java.

What's the purpose of this? The last time I needed this I just loaded the "Registered Players" site: http://dplogin.com/index.php?action=displaymembers&search=USERID and regex-ed out the registered names and that's not that hard, so i think other things should be focused.
I agree.  It's effectively just a shortcut that was requested, so I added it to the vote.

- Anybody.
How can this be done when the in-game server browser is just a menu file? My current idea would be to go through all servers and just check the players, but that's not possible in a menu file AFAIK.
It would require modifying the engine to parse this information so it could be displayed in a menu.

- Anybody
typo error.
Already implemented.

By "hacked" you mean modifiying the source code and testing it on a local server until it works, right?
By hacked, I mean look at the current weapon model, then display an icon based off of that information (as opposed to displaying it like other HUD information, which would require modifying the game code, and I believe there's a limit of 32 items for the hud, which has already been reached).

the same as above.
Already implemented.

Just to set all needed settings to play the game like key binds and audio and video settings? Any wishes about the language or the GUI toolkit?
I was picturing something in-game.  Using a gui toolkit would add unnecessary bloat and potential issues developing for multiple platforms.

About the wiki: Why can't I create an account?
http://wiki.digitalpaint.org/doku.php?id=start&do=login
--> Register
--> I end up being redirected to the referrer site (login page - or this page if you click the link below)
--> copying the link and manually loading the page: http://wiki.digitalpaint.org/doku.php?id=start&do=register doesnt work either, i get a 404 error there.
Registrations have been disabled because it was getting spammed too much.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »
Registrations have been disabled because it was getting spammed too much.
If registrations are disabled, can someone take the registration thing out of the wiki?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »
If registrations are disabled, can someone take the registration thing out of the wiki?
The wiki isn't really ready for prime time yet.