Author Topic: How do I enjoy the game more..  (Read 1784 times)

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
How do I enjoy the game more..
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:02:04 AM »
Simply just by slowing down, watching and hearing because enemy can appear from anywhere. When I slow down, more creative ideas comes to me - what way to go, what tactic to use, where to watch, where to hide, when to shoot, when and where to do a line. Rushing way of playing (everything fast fast) has minimum space for creativity and does more or less the same all the time - you are then like a zombie who has learned one way of playing which is repeating itself all the time and you are not enjoying the game, you are playing it only by rote and because you are used to it.

Also - camping is nothing to be ashamed for. Don´t listen people who says otherwise. It´s their fault when they die by hand of a well placed camper. It´s effective way of playing and because it is easy and beginners do it doesn´t mean it´s bad. Bad and childish are complaints of others on campers. But do I say that you should stay in your base and camp all the time? - No.

Also - the goal should not be to get better score than somebody else. The goal should be to play well and to have good feeling from the game. Score will take care for itself. If I will be happy when I get better score than somebody else, next time I will be annoyed when I get worse score than somebody else. That is maybe the reason why we see so many well playing "nonames" and "newbies" and multi acc - they don´t want to put at risk their reputation by showing their "real" name which evyrybody knows. If I win or loose doesn´t mean anything, important is that I have a good feeling from myself and from the game.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:56:31 AM by Ranger »

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
Re: How do I enjoy the game more..
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:21:57 AM »
It's nice that you try to give a guide for players to enjoy this game and I really appreciate your work, but I'm afraid I don't agree to your first two points. I think good players are able to be fast and still hear sounds, choose the best way and tactic and line efficiently. Of course, you will have to learn that, but I do not agree to the advise "Just go slow". It would be better to tell them "Think about what you do and your reasons to do so but stay fast". A slow player will always be ineffective as this game is about being fast.

Camping destroys a game because camping gives you an advantage (otherwise you wouldn't do it) but if everyone on the server just camped, the game would not go on. So, the players who really want to play the game (and have fun playing it) have to do something to get the game moving again but will always be interrupted by the campers, who do not do anything helpful for the came theirselves but think they are the best according to their kill death ratio. But maybe we have different definitions of camping here. What I talk about is just sitting in an edge where noone would go to for more than 3 minutes, watching a point where sometimes a player passes and just pull the trigger when they pass while they probably don't even have a chance to hit you because they can't see you. I do not talk about jumping around in a base defending a flag, that is just tactical playing but not camping. Of course, when you are good in this game, the camper will be marked after the first shot he missed because you strafed along with like 100mph, but for newbies who dont even know how to strafe jump, where to look for campers or how to aim fast, it can be very frustrating so they either quit or also start camping but learn nothing. Still, map makers have a lot of responisibility here, because on a map that is well designed, camping will be very ineffective or just impossible due to missing camping spots or too many ways that other players can use to just ignore the camper and cap him.

Your third point is totally right in my point of view, too many players play to get a good / better score while in this game, your score as well as your K/D ratio do not have to be good in order for you to be a good player. Mostly on pubs, a game will be won by caps or rounds won after having grabbed the flag. This probably is an illness from other shooters like CoD where most of the time, all that counts are you kills but not your teamplay nor any other things.

Malware

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:02:54 AM »
Sure camping is strong tactic but it destroys the spirit of the game just like in football when Chelsea park the buss :P

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »
Rushing never gets boring. On well-designed maps with path balance, I can rush different paths each time to keep my opponent guessing. When I capture a flag, the reward is a much greater feeling than anything that can come from 20 straight kills from a single spot. If you think it's better to go slowly and strategically, that's fine as long as you keep moving and take some risks. Without risk-taking, gaming (and life in general) becomes boring.

On a side note, this topic should get moved into the Paintball2 discussion rather than other stuff, for this is not "unrelated to Paintball2."

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »
Sure camping is strong tactic but it destroys the spirit of the game just like in football when Chelsea park the buss :P
You mean Soccer* :P

Camping is part of the game, it always has been, and it always will be! It helps balance the great teams. A great player will find a way to beat a camper.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 01:16:19 AM »
Usually campers (the pub kind) cannot jump. Get above them/ around them by jumping. Use nades. Campers always use the same spots just quickly check your back and every corner you go around. Anyway to make this game more interesting to you then get into a clan and start matching. Pubs is just going for kills and I'm sure it is easy to cap when your noob team is camping their spawn, whereas competitive is tactics, new maps you can learn. Get on team speak 3 with a team and start working out how you are going to set yourself up to beat the other team. But first of all, I would start asking for 1v1 matches on pubs and rent out matching servers on otb-server.de so you can improve your game. In pubs people move generally as a crowd but in 1v1 you have to think more about what you do and speed is really important.