Author Topic: Apache - Yes, it's finally out!  (Read 1683 times)

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
Apache - Yes, it's finally out!
« on: February 24, 2020, 01:00:55 AM »
Here it is... Long anticipated map that never got finished

max teams: 2
max players: there are weapons for 5 players/team, but dunno what max player count is... I don't know man, I am really tired

The map is old schoolish, so no spawning with weapons or fancy speed/ice jumps. I just wanted to try to make a tactical map and in my opinion it is perfect.

Thanks to everyone who was participating in this journey, and sorry for hogging so much bandwith. Man, I've been +24h up now and my decision making is really poor at the moment.

love you all

EDIT: There is nothing old schoolish in this map anymore since b3, it's another map where you can dash through the map with rainbow colors in your eyes and fly high. Also you spawn with equipment which i despise and might get rid of :) I am too lazy to make a proper forums post now, so pics will be updated on a new reply and probably later on OP.

Downloads:
beta1: http://dplogin.com/files/maps/beta/apache_b1.bsp
beta2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S3iQACdRf5Ri7pVkrUGvo0BiYJd6pl6F
beta3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FTP3YLLkvl5Yxc2W6YaYvDrCkQNKq0Zb/view?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:53:32 AM by 3lf »

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
Re: Apache - Yes, it's finally out!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 07:08:22 AM »
Here's an .ent file for a pub version of the map (for Social Saturday)

Changes:
- More guns, more fun
- More equipment
- New map message

edit: first .ent was bugged, fixed now
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 05:19:45 PM by 3lf »

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:10:58 AM »
Here's also the .map file, should anybody ever need it. I am trying to promote the open sourceness and I like the fact that, should the game change, someone can fix/modify the map even if I am not around.

You are free to do anything you want with the .map file.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 03:20:05 AM »
Nice.  Do you really want us to play with the ent file?  I'd rather try it the way it was designed.

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 11:58:38 AM »
Yeah, use the .ent file. I actually prefer it over the way bsp has, I was dead tired when I compiled the map and just wanted to push it out, so ent fixes few things.
Also the changes are not that drastic, it just adds 2 more equipment sets per base. Players still spawn without weapons etc
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 05:20:32 PM by 3lf »

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:04:24 AM »
Beta 2 is out!

Changelog:
- weapons for 7 people in each base, in case the team decides to rush paths with more than 1 player.
- Visual upgrades and texture alignments
- new jump from mid to sniper and from sniper back to air vent

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 03:17:27 PM »
It would be nice if you could provide the files that the map requires together with the .bsp file.

Check out http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=27008.msg248771#msg248771

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 02:44:18 AM »
Pls richard, it's just a beta + uses only original game files. I'll create mapinfo and mapshots later.

Ent was released just for social saturday, but since I released b2 you no longer need it.

Ps. Cool tool

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 08:10:03 AM »
uses only original game files.

Hmm, textures/__tb_empty didn't come with my installation. You might say that it's not visible on the map anywhere and thus not required, then I'd ask you to remove the reference to the texture so that paintball doesn't complain when loading the map.

For crates_hd, the game complains about sounds/whoa/danger_zone.wav, textures/__tb_empty, and textures/whoa/funny.

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
Why are we talking about crates? This is about apache. __tb_empty is just a filling texture and a bug, will be removed from final release.

Chill

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 03:56:40 AM »
New Beta version: BETA 3!

download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FTP3YLLkvl5Yxc2W6YaYvDrCkQNKq0Zb/view?usp=sharing

Changes:
 - Drastic
 - Huge
 - Cool

MAP FILE INCLUDED!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 07:16:00 PM »
Cool!  The new paths seem nice -- having a way to quickly go from mid to high probably makes the flow a lot better.  Shame you lost the cool looking industrial pipes in the process, though that area was super awkward to navigate.  Will have to play it to get some better feedback on gameplay.

Small gripes:
- I hit my head on the chopper a lot when going toward the flag.  Not sure what the best solution would be -- maybe raise the chopper and/or lower that platform?
- I still think the crate should be higher/angled more to make it easier for new players or bots to jump to the chopper.
- Supports for the barrel stack are steeper than 45 degrees.  Looks like you can ramp jump up them, but you can't.

Some minor cosmetic things:
- Ambient light makes everything look very flat and bland.  I'd get rid of that and increase the surface light.  b2 lighting looked way better.
- Lots of the brick textures are upside-down, making the lighting look super funky, like it's being lit from below or something.
- Boards near the flag are floating.
- Sideways barrels are like 1 unit off.