Author Topic: Dust2  (Read 5389 times)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Dust2
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:11:01 AM »
Whats up guys!?
Long time no see :)!

I have been playing Counter Strike the last months and Dust2 was probably the most fun map to play. So I asked myself 'why not recreate it for DP?'. I knew that recreating this map without the permission from the creater is illegal, so I contacted David Johnston (who made the map).

He told me that Valve has the rights for Dust2 and I'd have to ask them for a permission, otherwise it could get to law issues. I didn't tell him that DP is a free to play game though which I think could affect the situation. (I attached our mails below this post)

So guys do you think I have to contact Valve and if so could someone tell me where I can contact them?

And if I should get the permission how do you think I'd have to do it (gamemode, textures and stuff)?
I could probably need some help with mapping too.

Well thanks for reading and have a nice day.

-matze

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 04:13:18 PM by MaTzeMR »

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Dust2
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 06:13:39 AM »
Hasn't somebody already done this? I too have been hooked on cs:go for the last few months but I really doubt that the layout and size would work very well in dp.

P.s Send me free skins plz.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 06:19:01 AM »
Hasn't somebody already done this? I too have been hooked on cs:go for the last few months but I really doubt that the layout and size would work very well in dp.

P.s Send me free skins plz.
Yes my bad I didn't use the search function, typical me.
But none of the guys who remapped dust or dust2 actually had a permission to do it (I think).

P.S: my skinz r 2 1337 4 u

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »
Did Spook did the same thing for CS_Italy?

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:06:18 AM »
Did Spook did the same thing for CS_Italy?
Yes I think he asked the rightfull owner and remapped it then. (thats how I remember it)

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 08:52:01 AM »
For my part I used the Counterstrike 1.6 version of the map. And no I never asked for permission but I also never really published it.  http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=25849.0

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 12:03:23 PM »
Considering someone remade Lockout from Halo with no problem, you shouldn't have anything to worry about...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »
I think the thing to do would be use a similar layout with a different theme and name, so it's not a blatant copy, but contains some of the best gameplay elements and is tweaked/optimized for this specific game.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 04:08:46 PM »
Update: I just contacted Valve and asked for ther permission.

I think the thing to do would be use a similar layout with a different theme and name, so it's not a blatant copy, but contains some of the best gameplay elements and is tweaked/optimized for this specific game.

Yeah, I have something similar in mind. I dont just want to simply remap it 1:1, I wanna add a few jumps and other things that only work in dp2.

Considering someone remade Lockout from Halo with no problem, you shouldn't have anything to worry about...

Yeah but I personally prefer to do it the safe way. I dont wanna pay the VACation for Valve's employees. hehe.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 06:20:32 AM »
Okay, I experminented a bit and probably found the perfect game mode: siege.
The terorrists spawn with the white flag and have to bring it to either A or B to cap it.
The only thing that is a problem is that when the Counter Terrorists touch the cap spot at A or B, they die. So does anyone know (jits maybe?) how I can prevent the Cts from dying? Would be nice.

Sorry for the double post :D

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »
AFAIK you can do this kind of "siege" by just setting CTF, giving one team 2 flags and the other team a base. But I think that doing some kind of KOTH would be better since the original idea is to get on the bombspot and stay there.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 09:20:23 AM »
AFAIK you can do this kind of "siege" by just setting CTF, giving one team 2 flags and the other team a base. But I think that doing some kind of KOTH would be better since the original idea is to get on the bombspot and stay there.
Yeah but that would be a huge disadvantage for the CT team.
In siege the teams change the spawns every round, thats what makes it fair + there is no respawn just like in CS.

Koth would be unfair as well. And boring.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »
Ahm I can send you my version if you want. I worked my way around it :)