Author Topic: [Issue] Windows 8 wakes up every 15 mins until +- 22:00 and starts again at 5:00  (Read 3027 times)

prozajik

• Autococker
Getting kind of desperate here, I am not expecting someone to know whats up, but i am looking for some ideas what might be causing this.

I went through 30+ forum posts with issues about PC waking up randomly, nothing helped. I narrowed it down that the wake up is probably cause by some kind of scheduler, tried deleting some, didn't help.

What i tried:
Disconnecting LAN and ALL USBs when my PC was sleeping.
Disconnecting Audio IN/OUT (LeL right?).
Disconnected monitor etc etc, my PC was purely clean except for power.

Checking out BIOS if there is an option to disable waking up (there is about USB and I have it disabled).
Disabled any option for any USB device to wake up PC.
Disabled possibility for PC to receive 'wake up requests' or w/e is it called, its in Power management advanced options.
Set some kind of weird 'Calm time' for whole day and every day (its a Win8 option, I randomly found it so I gave it a shot)

Deleted Win8 time scheduler.
Deleted some other random schedules, which ran at some point during/in between wake ups.

What I know:

Windows 8 'wake up reason' doesn't show a freaking sh*t, way to make a feature which actually doesn't work, it says "Unknown reason" (I think it also said somewhere BIOS clock synchronization, or something like that, but I figured it happens WHEN the PC wakes up and that it doesn't wake my PC); checked it in CMD as well as event viewer both said Unknown reason (no shiet when it's the same except graphical ^^)

Wakes up happen +- every 15 minute, sometimes 16 mins/14 mins, but its pretty much 15 mins, it just takes PC longer to boot up i think.

What am I looking for:
ANY POSSIBLE IDEA, I don't know what to do seriously
Decent event viewer, not the Windows poor one AND/OR somehow be able to check which event was run the first before wake up (meaning it woke up my PC)

EDIT:Also, i never really tested when the PC wake ups happen, but i know it stops at 22:00 and the wakes up happen BEFORE this time then it starts again sometime around 5:00. So luckily I can get some sleep, but it's pretty annoying when I go to sleep earlier than 22:00 lol

EDIT2:One more thing, I also would like to know some active forum which might be able to help me, never really posted anything like this so if anyone knows some good forum for this I would be glad for the info.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
Maybe the Microsoft tool "Autoruns" can help you as it is also useful for showing things that are scheduled.
Maybe this can help you: http://lifehacker.com/how-find-out-what-woke-up-your-computer-last-1550549116

These sites are always pretty helpful: https://stackexchange.com/sites# (Edit: In this case, you would probably want to ask at https://superuser.com/)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:08:03 PM by xrichardx »

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Intel Smart Connect activated?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Some old versions of the Samsung Magician tool had a bug like this. But the whole day, not a special time.

Toxiic

• Autococker

prozajik

• Autococker
Maybe the Microsoft tool "Autoruns" can help you as it is also useful for showing things that are scheduled.
Maybe this can help you: http://lifehacker.com/how-find-out-what-woke-up-your-computer-last-1550549116

These sites are always pretty helpful: https://stackexchange.com/sites# (Edit: In this case, you would probably want to ask at https://superuser.com/)
As i said, it says "Unknown reason"
Autoruns is finally moving me somewhere, might be able to figure sth out with that.
And gonna give that site a shot, unless i can figure sth out myself.

yep, do you know something? ^^

Some old versions of the Samsung Magician tool had a bug like this. But the whole day, not a special time.
I have that tool, but i got wayyyyy after i had this issue for the first time

prozajik

• Autococker
OMFG, its the  Intel isn't it....i just checked the GUI and it says "Last wake even 6:47:00" That looks like exactly what i was referring to.

EDIT: Yeo............."Choose how often you want your system to update: 15 minutes"

TIL, Intel doesn't give a intercourse about any windows 8 settings, it just bypasses any possible wake up denial and wakes it up anyway.....

Thanks ic3y, looks like problem solved

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
np, had the same prob months ago.

With Intel® Smart Connect Technology, stay current with automatic, no-wait updates to your e-mail, social networks, news, and more. While your system is in standby, it will periodically wake up to update the applications that are open. When you return to your system and open the lid, the latest content will be at your fingertips.
It also enables your computer to send updates to the cloud if you create items while you are away from a network connection—for example, if you write an e-mail while on a plane. This way, everyone has your latest thoughts and you always have the freshest data ready to go whenever you are.
Intel Smart Connect Technology is available on Ultrabook™, All-in-One, and standard PCs powered by the latest Intel® Core™ processor family.

How it works
While your computer is asleep, Intel Smart Connect Technology wakes the system periodically and re-establishes network connectivity. This enables your applications that receive data from the Internet—such as your e-mail and social network sites—to quickly sync with the cloud service and update your system. After the content is updated, the system automatically transitions back to sleep mode.
http://www.intel.eu/content/www/eu/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-connect-technology.html?_ga=1.178135141.1788557293.1426976902

prozajik

• Autococker
np, had the same prob months ago.
http://www.intel.eu/content/www/eu/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-connect-technology.html?_ga=1.178135141.1788557293.1426976902
[whining]
What a "Smart" and useful technology. Well, I guess it might be useful in some way, but that still doesn't justify that they didn't even ask me if I wanna do it (I guess I could have read what exactly it does, but was just expecting that it's some firmware stuff) and also that they completely neglected the fact, that Win8 has "Wake up reason" and didn't make it compatible with it. They probably expected that their 'feature' is so great that nobody would ever get annoyed with it and wanted to disable it.
That's classic 'famous' brand thinking, same applies for Windows auto-update restart, it's just impossible for regular user to disable it (in Windows 8 that is, in other Wins I think you could just click postpone forever, Win8 just forces it no matter what).
[/whining]

Anyway thanks once again, have been struggling with it for months.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
I have that problem as well, I put it to standby then in the morning it is always on. I ended up just turning it off every night. I am trying to look for an option to disable Intel smart connect but I can't find anything. What should I do to disable it?

Edit: I don't actually think I have it installed. I searched my computer for "intel smart connect" went to a folder and ran the installation and it said "smart connect device not found in bios, or it is disabled". And it is not on add/remove programs.

prozajik

• Autococker
I have that problem as well, I put it to standby then in the morning it is always on. I ended up just turning it off every night. I am trying to look for an option to disable Intel smart connect but I can't find anything. What should I do to disable it?
Active = running in taskbar, all i had to was double click the app and there was a switch.

Honestly finding out whats the issue is pretty hard, it could be 100 different things. Since you said it happens in the evening (around midnight i am guessing) it is probably scheduled PC maintenance.
To prevent the Regular Maintenance task from waking the machine at 3:00am, go to Action Center / Automatic Maintenance and disable the checkbox for “Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time”.

One more thing you could try doing is disabling any wake up timers in power settings
::power options / Advanced settings / Sleep / Allow wake timers will default to Enabled for AC power.  

Lastly, if this doesn't help, try disconnecting all USBs and then LANs (if you have any) and see if that fixes issue, if its USB then i can guide you further, if its LAN the 'power option' fix should fix this, otherwise there is most likely an option in BIOS.