Author Topic: KOTH Mode  (Read 2840 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
KOTH Mode
« on: April 17, 2004, 08:23:29 AM »
With the next version I'd like to include a new map and a new game mode: King of the Hill.

The underlying concept is simple: team that stays on the hill the longest wins.  The problem is getting it to work with elimination style gameplay.  I have a couple ideas.

The first idea is to simply have instant or very short respawns.  I don't know if I care for that idea much.  It would most likely be a continuous rush, spray, and die fest.

Another idea would be to have the paintballs not kill, but instead offer a big kick back.  This, of course, would not be anything like real paintball, but it could be a blast to play and would offer a unique change.  Mappers could really have fun with it -- make the hill a platform above lava/paint and people would try to knock each other in.  You could even do some really silly stuff like skiball -- have  a bunch of holes with various flags in them that have negative scores on them, so when people get knocked in, their team loses points.

Next idea is that only the person on the hill can fire.  This would keep people from constantly spraying the hill and making it impossible to get any points.

Another possibility, instead of having the score depend on how long teams are on the hill, have it so your team gets a point for every kill made on the hill.

Hmm, lots of possibilities for fun stuff. :)

Next thing to worry about is rounds.  KOTH wouldn't be round based.  I guess when everyone is eleminated on a team, I'd just respawn all the dead players and leave the live ones where they are.  I think that would work well -- let teams maintain control of the hill.  I could probably leave the rest of the gameplay as is with that.

The main potential issue I see is the spray.  With spyders or higher, everyone would just hold the mouse button down with the crosshair on the hill.  Maybe I could comine some of the ideas.  If you shoot while not on the hill, the balls just kick players back, but if you're on the hill, they eliminate people.  I kinda like that idea. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention -- 1flag maps could double as KOTH maps.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 08:24:39 AM by jitspoe »

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
Re: KOTH Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 12:30:25 PM »
that would be cool what you can do is make it kinda like that castle map only one team starts on the hill with defences stuff and they have to stop the attacking team from getting on the hill when one does they trade places and the old defending team is now attacking and its a time thing how long can you hold the attacking team off to win the map (kinda like assault in unreal turny

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 05:04:38 PM »
No, that's siege.  In KOTH, both teams would start off the hill and try to gain control of it.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 08:13:23 PM »
when no one's on the hill, you can't shoot. ;D

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 07:29:53 PM »
That sounds like it would fit right in with the anti-real paintball feel, and does sound like a lot of fun. Could maybe make the kick ridiculous, like dying in QW pball, and have only traccers and pgp's on the maps. something to limit the spray like your looking for. Just another idea to throw around.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 07:17:26 PM »
i think it would be funny to have a medium gun sprayfest, until someone kills the guy on the hill, then it's just everyone trying to get to the hill, then once someone gets there, they all start spraying again. heh.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 08:58:39 PM »
could this also be done in dm mode and first one to stay on the hill for like 10 min (accumulitive)?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 04:19:30 AM »
Perhaps, but we'll see how it works out with teams, first.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 10:29:48 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:06:59 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 03:11:25 PM »
Well, I have the basics of the mode implemented.  Flags currently act as the hill.  When a team (and only one team) is touching the flag, it turns that team's color.  For each 5 seconds (5 seconds is default -- there's a variable to adjust it) that a team touches the flag, the team scores a point.  Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of the stuff. :)

One interesting thing with the way I have it currently set up is that you can only have one team scoring points, but you can have multiple flags.  All the flags change to the color of the team touching the hill (or white if nobody or more than one team is touching).  You could set up a map with 2 or 3 different hills and have to defend all of them (obviously something like this would require a lot of players).  That way not everyone would be spraying a single hill.

Another thing with the way it currently is -- you can have team colored flags, and like with regular CTF, red can touch the blue flag, and blue the red, but if teams touch their own flags, it doesn't make a difference.  That might get kind of confusing, though.  It could make playing KOTH style on old CTF maps possible, though -- gotta get to and stay on the other team's flag, but keep the other team off your flag.  I don't know if that would be any more fun than regular CTF though.

I could do some kind of special case that would let you pick up colored flags but keep white flags acting as the hill.  I know we were joking about having the balls kick people way back into the air and having a flag/base up in the air that if you could juggle someone up to it, would give their team negative points.  Colored flags aren't required for the basic KOTH gameplay, but allowing mappers to do creative things with them would be nice.  Oh, maybe I could put an additional field that would flag a KOTH flag as being pickupable or simply act as a hill.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 06:39:17 PM »
That sounds cool, but I have to wonder how much it will get played.  How often is siege mode played?  The typical DP'er seems too lazy to get away from their normal playing routine even in normal CTF mode, let-alone an entirely new game mode.  But maybe the new mode will attract fresh blood to the game, who knows.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 07:51:09 PM »
thats true this mod can bring a mess of people that like koth games (mods) and this will be a new and unique one.