Author Topic: DVD movie backups  (Read 2796 times)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
DVD movie backups
« on: October 01, 2006, 01:24:19 PM »
I'm trying to make backups of all my DVD movies and on some I keep running into this problem...

When I think I have successfully copied a DVD, I go to play the new copy version and the directors are yacking through the whole movie.

I use older versions of AnyDVD to get around the copyright protection and CloneDVD2 to copy.  I have tried many ways using these 2 programs to no avail.

Anyone with suggestions on better programs to use or a way to stop the director's commentary would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: DVD movie backups
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 01:33:28 PM »
You need to grab the correct audio track - typically you will have to do thsi manually.

I personally use dvdshrink as the 2 options they have are full auto and manual.

You can also copy the whole dvd on to a DL dvd or just english with no menus and no subtitles which you can usually fit on a single layer disk.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 03:24:15 PM »
i think my uncle uses a program called nero but not sure about the commentary thing...

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »
Nero works ok for "open souce dvd's "
For "closed source dvd's" it won't work ;)

MaDMaN

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »
cloneDVD and DVDShrink kthx

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 08:48:12 PM »
OK thanks for the input... 

CloneDVD2 has an option where you can choose the files you want manually too.  I've tried every manual choice on some movies and I still can't get rid of the commentator's poop.  It's as if it is embedded in the main movie file where if you try to copy it then it automatically adds the director's comments. 

This is only with some movies though...  Often I can get the whole movie done without a problem.

I have never tried DVDShrink but will take a look at it.

I have the most trouble with Nero when it comes to DVD movies.  Never have got it to work for that.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 09:43:31 PM »
OK thanks for the input... 

CloneDVD2 has an option where you can choose the files you want manually too.  I've tried every manual choice on some movies and I still can't get rid of the commentator's poop.  It's as if it is embedded in the main movie file where if you try to copy it then it automatically adds the director's comments. 

This is only with some movies though...  Often I can get the whole movie done without a problem.

I have never tried DVDShrink but will take a look at it.

I have the most trouble with Nero when it comes to DVD movies.  Never have got it to work for that.

if you need any full programs (non free trials) just ask.. I'm very "generous" when it comes to "buying" programs.

right jits?

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 11:10:12 PM »
DVDXCopy.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 11:18:46 PM »
Well, I managed to get through one movie that was being a pain in the ass with DVDShrink.  Not a bad little program.  I used it and then burned with CloneDVD2.

Appreciate the offer but I'm pretty handy at getting programs too :)

Read a lot of bad reviews on DVDXCopy also came to the conclusion it's a bit of an out dated program but thanks anyway.

DVDShrink ftw

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »
The bad reviews was that they openly stated on their packaging and information on their site that the program can circumvent nearly all cd protection to copy cds/dvds.

MPAA/RIAA had a fit and sued them and won, but its still a great program.  I got a netflix membership and I havent gotten one movie I couldn't copy.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 10:53:22 AM »
FLight Plan and memiors of a geisha cant be copied with dvdxcopy.  Tried it.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 07:42:04 PM »
What program did you finally get to work on those 2 movies Knack?

Sprinks how hard is it to come by a copy of DVDXCopy?

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 10:30:50 PM »
I havent seen either movie, soon wouldnt know.

I got mine off of piratebay.org, a bittorrent site.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 09:22:51 AM »
use ratdvd, it copies the entire DVD + menu structure so you can use the spec. features to turn the commentry off.

google for DVD43, it's a small program with on-the-fly decryption. This means you can convert the vob files or copy them directly from the DVD without using a ripping program.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 09:43:05 AM »
DVD43's Review http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd43.cfm

and what I presently use to do the same thing...

AnyDVD v5.6.3.1's Review http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/anydvd.cfm

The user ratings are slightly better for AnyDVD...  Have you ever used AnyDVD or can you tell me what DVD43 might offer that is better?