Author Topic: New maps for paintball  (Read 8414 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: New maps for paintball
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 12:35:05 AM »
As in illegally distributing textures and such that came from another game.  I'm not sure how much they care about that.  I wouldn't worry about the .wal's -- Q2 users can suffer like the not-willing-to-pay-$20-for-a-new-video-card bastards that they are. ;)

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 06:36:47 AM »
Nah, I'm not ready to  hoist the q2 users out just yet.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 08:19:03 AM »
Well, they can still play -- it just gives them more of an incentive to upgrade :)

red...spots...everywhere!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 07:13:33 PM »
that happened to me once...when i was on morphine in the hospital

cujp

• PGP
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2004, 12:55:00 AM »
has anyone played this map or ran this map on a server? does it work for paintball

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 11:50:16 AM »
Come on into #pbmappers on irc.enterthegame.com and we'll set a server up and test em.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2004, 01:22:16 PM »
Ok, finally got a chance to look at some of these.  First off, they look pretty good, relative to most of many of the other paintball maps out there.  When releasing maps, though, you should really only include the textures you're using.  Having like 30 megs of textures when you only need 4 or 5 is bad...  Plus there's some thumbs.db files in there and other crap --- even the textures that are included with paintball2!  Don't need all that. :)  The textures are kind of dark, too.  you might want to knock the gamma up on them a bit when you save them as jpegs (Paintball2 requires brighter textures because it doesn't modify them and lose quality -- original quake2 doubles the brightness of textures on load).

Let's see:

pb_tmc - this one looks like it might work well.  There are several misaligned box textures.  It'd be nice if you fixed those.  One of the ladders was going all whacky like it had two ladders placed on top of each other.  I like how you spread the equipment out.  I noticed there was one area where you climbed up a ladder onto little platform and the only thing that was there was CO2.  You might want to put an autococker and steel barrel up there, too - give people an incentive to bother going up there.  Check your spawns.  I was blue and spawned near the read base (on that platform I just described).  All those metal support things look like they're supposed to be transparent.  If you make the texture a 32bit TGA with alpha, and use trans33+trans66 flags on the surface, it'll use the alpha transparency of the texture.

pb_sickre – I’d have this one be a deathmatch map.  I’d also go with full randomization of the guns (don’t specify a type – just use weapon_pballgun).  Having all autos will ruin the gameplay (people just sit in one spot and spray).

pb_dogpoindv2a – my slower comp doesn’t like this map very much.  I only get like 20fps.  It might work as a single flag map as well as team elim.  If you put a flag on that center barrel then had the bases up at the top – you’ll need some kind of platform to designate where to bring the flag.  I’d strip down the equipment as much as possible.  Too much will make it too laggy, since everything is basically 1 room.

pb_losthalls – don’t really care for this one.  You could maybe make it a 4-team elimination map.

cujp

• PGP
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2004, 05:38:37 PM »
cool thanks yah am working on the pb_tmc mostly working out the stuff i missed in kingpin  notice that juniors don't work in quake2 much for dynamic lighting like kingpin does  the textures are darker in pb guess pb don't the fps i get 128fps guess my ati card
kept working out the kingpin stuff and lighten the textures and alin boxes [;-)  
weapons thought i added all the weapons  in q3Rad it sets all diffent types on weapon for each pballgun like when you added vm68 /spyder/automag

i though i added these guns in place that was not so easy to get to and not  close to spawn  area's  i think i set these up for dm and ctf set both infor_player with team1 and team 2  start infor-dm ? with gamemode 4 in world  mm maybe i set it worng

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2004, 08:47:28 PM »
You have to use "teamnumber," not "team."