Author Topic: how would i go about makeing a fps game?  (Read 6849 times)

yo_79

• PGP
how would i go about makeing a fps game?
« on: February 04, 2004, 03:47:36 PM »
I want to make a first person shooter game out of c programing and i want to know exactly what i will need to make a playable multiplayer good graphic game.  If you could tell me the stuff soon i would be happy and only tell me the necesitys and then u can mention the other stuff.  Thanks!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: how would i go about makeing a fps game?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 10:45:43 PM »
For beginners (and even experienced game developers) it's usually best to start out with a game engine that already exists.  Now that the Quake2 engine has been open-sourced, you can do basically anything you want with it.  quakesrc.org has a bunch of resources for development with the Quake2 engine.  Unfortunately it's down right now.  Hopefully it'll be back up soon.  In the meantime, you might want to take a look at what some other people have done with the engine.  Search for quake2max, quake2 evolved, and qfusion.  Also take a look at the qbismfusion engine.  I don't remember the urls to all of these offhand.  For info on making models take a look at http://www.polycount.com/

yo_79

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 12:52:03 PM »
that 3-d model page?  its not free?  lol i need to use 3-d graphics but i don know how to make some. Also how sould i go about learning c++?  i realy need some help getting started so can you help?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 03:36:06 PM by yo_79 »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 12:02:40 PM »
Wings3D is a nice (and free) modelling program. Google has answers to all your other questions. :)

yo_79

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 03:58:35 AM »
i have one more question how do you make the charecters move? Also i was thinking.. cause i have no idea how to use wings 3-d, maybe i could gte all dressed in my paintball stuff and gte pictures of the guns online and conect them all. Maybe i could do something like digitaly tapeing all the capablilitys like jump and throw gernade and capture the sounds with a digital microphone, let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 04:16:32 AM by yo_79 »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 04:18:34 PM »
Are you talking about contributing to this game or making your own?

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 07:31:55 PM »
i think he is talking about making his own.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 08:55:56 PM »
Oh, well if you want to record some high quality sounds for paintball2, that'd be great too. ;)

Xile

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 11:41:05 PM »
I dont think he knows how to do anything at all

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 11:59:55 PM »
im with xile i think he is asking us how to code and everything when he should really be going to another site about this.

yo_79

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 03:47:08 AM »
no.... i know how to code i, just not to good and there are no good places that i could go that would teach me.  Maybe i will record some sounds for you guys and help out here first with small things until i get a better idea

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 04:17:37 PM »
There are lots of sites dedicated to game development.  Check out http://www.gamedev.net http://www.gamasutra.com/ http://www.flipcode.com/ -- it takes years to put together a good game from the ground up, so you need to have a lot of dedication if you want to accomplish anything.