Author Topic: Global Stats  (Read 11653 times)

Anrkist

• VM-68
Re: Global Stats
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2004, 10:01:19 PM »
This is annoying, you wont force servers to do things but you will force the end user?? What if I quit SMURF? And I dont want the SMURF tag anymore?? I guess im intercoursed.

What if you dont want people to identify you?? Not everyone feels the need to let people know who they are. Its a nice bit of anoniminity that is enjoyed from time to time, and we should be allowed to excersie it.

I like the idea of registration but not to the point where if I change my name ill lose my stats, so either A. Allow me to use several names with one main login name or B. Give me an Opt out option.

Is this the begining of cheat prevention? If yes, ill shut the hell up.

Xile

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2004, 10:31:53 PM »
Name changes could be easily implemented. Heres a good idea. Let's steal a little bit from Half-Life (kind of).

Let people change their name all they want to, but keep their base login name the same. They login with the same login/pass all the time, but can use different nicknames. Give each account a specified ID address, like... lets say... anrkist signs up! he gets the ID. "DP0001", no matter how he changes his name or anything, he will always be affixed with the same ID "DP0001". So, in general, when you type names, it will show everyones login/nick/ip/id/ops.
[Anr;Anrkist;69.95.55.55;DP0001;0ops]

this would also make for a better banning system, so that you can ban their ID also.

Pretty much expanding the player ID function to not have their ID counted when they join the server, but always being affixed to them from logging in.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2004, 10:44:19 PM »
Nothing is being forced here.  Registration and stats would be completely optional.  Also, the clan tag would not be directly part of your name.  Keep in mind, too, that anonymity is one of the greatest sources of internet immaturity.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2004, 11:40:37 PM »
Yes the penny arcade certainly has a handle on how humans work =p

As long as it is not enforced.. its cool.

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2004, 11:29:14 AM »
This may be all well and good, but, maybe im mistaken, don't you need some sort of central server to keep track of this??? or will the regular dedicated server keep track of this between them selves?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2004, 11:45:26 AM »
What happens when you get banned?  You go and register another account.  What stops anyone from being a lamer or cheater?.. Nothing.  This sort of banning only works in commercial games because the majority of people aren't willing to spend the $50 to get another copy(and cdkey/registration).

Also who has any say in who should be banned and who shouldn't.  I think it should just be left up to the server administrators like it is now instead of having global banning.  Having people banned from an entire game just because a person has a problem with them isn't really that cool.

As for global cheater banning I'm still really undecided.  Sometimes it's easy to wrongly accuse someone of cheating.  I know I've made a few really lucky guesses that can easily lead to suspicion during my times playing.  That kind of thing happens all the time, just because someone is camping doesn't mean that the opponent will never check that corner/barrel/crate randomly as he's passing through.  The only measure that can be taken against cheaters is prevention and detection schemes.  Cheaters falling to the detection deserve to be banned/warned/whatever but having a demo of some guy hitting another guy as he comes around the corner randomly shouldn't.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2004, 12:54:13 PM »
Well, it acts as a deterrent.  Not as much of one as having to spend $50 each time, but still, registiring a new name takes time and effort, plus you'd have to get a new email account each time.  I imagine people doing it just to be lame would get  bored and leave after a while.  Plus they'd be more careful if they actually cared about their stats.

The bans wouldn't be global.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2004, 08:49:22 PM »
i never liked purma bans if you are cought cheating really cheating no dout at all that this guy was chating then ban him for a week. when he comes back if he still is cheating no dout again ban him for a month. when he comes back for the 3rd time and still chatins then purma ban him. other wise i have to say no alot of times if you are cought cheating your name is gone everyone will know you as a cheater and you wont cheat again but if your that lame then 3 strikes and your out.

ASDA

• PGP
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2004, 03:19:52 PM »
hey everyone from paintball 1 is here  :o

Darkphyre

• PGP
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2004, 06:42:14 AM »
no, NOW everyone from pball one is here ;p

Derrek

• Stingray
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2004, 08:40:20 PM »
Take a look at kots2000.  Its kind of a D&D based mod (build player stats and experience):
http://www.planetquake.com/kots2000/

This mod does exactly what your thinking of as far as login/stats.  Not sure if the name is changeable or not.  

As far as global banning....If you are caught cheating, they 'curse' your player and all your stats get reset.

mr_slacker

• PGP
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2004, 06:09:17 PM »
Hey Jits... this would be a really cool idea .when you get it done let me know i will uplaod it if you want it on the servers...

BuMM

QtipDOG

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2004, 12:58:48 PM »
If our clan name can't be part of our username, where's it going to be?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 12:59:48 PM by QtipDOG »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2004, 06:44:59 PM »
There could be an official "clan" tag too, only modifiable by jits...so submissions to clans would be...official. more than just a tag.