Author Topic: Linux and DP  (Read 1609 times)

oOoOz

• PGP
Linux and DP
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:31:23 AM »
ahm didn't want to open a new thread so i ask here.

Does the linux version of pb work for all distributions of it?
I was thinking about getting linux...The KNOPPIX live system was kinda cool

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Linux and DP
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 12:04:18 PM »
Well, there are common standards in linux, and the installer's format makes it so at least 95% linux distros support it.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Linux and DP
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 12:31:50 PM »
I wouldn't use paintball with a live disk of Linux. Also you might want to try Ubuntu instead of Knoppix. I've tried pball on both (only live disk so far) and Knoppix comes back with some OpenGL errors. But Ubuntu actually ran the game. I'm sure you could get it to work on Knoppix, but it might take more time and effort than if you tried Ubuntu.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Linux and DP
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »
To be honest, the Linux version doesn't work very well in general.  You're almost better off getting WINE and running the windows version through Linux.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 08:33:33 PM »
To be honest, the Linux version doesn't work very well in general.

So thats why it ran at 10 FPS! :D

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 08:38:18 PM »
Jitspoe, QuDos build works fine for me. I'll try to dig up some of the fixes I've found for problems with it, the main problem was audio. I use SDL Quake 2 when I play normal Quake 2 and mods for it, I have no issues at all with it and you could use it's audio, who can't get SDL in Linux? As far as OpenGL errors, I've only had them when not using nvidia drivers on my nvidia card.

I get 1000 fps when not near entities and around 250 fps when in the water in bombsaway.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 08:38:47 PM »
To be honest, the Linux version doesn't work very well in general.  You're almost better off getting WINE and running the windows version through Linux.

Don't listen to him.  Once it works, it works fine.  Post any problems that you're having with the linux version on the forums, myself and a few other linux players should be able to help.