Author Topic: Flooded in Remix  (Read 2107 times)

SmackWaters

• VM-68
Flooded in Remix
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:56:05 PM »
Hey guys, do you remember this name? For those of you that don't know, a while back, i released a map called flooded in, that didn't exactly blow everyone away. Well, to put it simple, they hated it. You can find proof of that here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=2995.0 Obviously, it's me as a noob getting hated on. I just looked back at this and laughed at it. Anyways, back on topic. So I liked the idea of the map, but i agreed that i could have done a lot better of a job implementing it. I decided to give the map another try. I'm going for a much more complex map style this time, rather than speed ball. I'm going for a more neon look this time instead of full out fluorescent lights. For example, the lights in the blue base are all blue, in the middle they are white, and in the red base they are red (well, when i get to those parts) Also notice that the entire map isn't flooded, there will be non flooded paths, for those of you who don't like the water-trekking  ;). Overall, it's just going to be a much larger, less "watered-down  (literally)":P loosely based version of the original map. This is just to give you an idea of what I'm doing, and a reminder that yes, I'm still in the mapping business. Here are some screen shots, and i also added the original flooded in, just for fun. Please note that i do not have a beta ready for the remix and the one i posted is the original, so if you don't like it, don't worry. Please don't shoot me down about this already. I'm working on making this one a lot better than the first. Suggestions on how to make this map better than the first would be helpful. But don't say "don't make it" because i know this map can be fun if made right. And also, don't say "take out the water", because that takes the whole theme out of the map and makes it just like any regular factory.

Sorry i kind of rambled on, edited it about a million times

(dunno why the screenshots turned out so crappy)

Anyways, here are some shots of what i have done (the blue base)

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Flooded in Remix
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 01:19:36 AM »
Please, not so much blue. It makes it nearly impossible to tell what color people are. Dim light is okay, but why would they have all blue lighting in a warehouse?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 02:07:48 AM »
Whoa, yeah, cut back on the colored lighting.  That's way overkill.  Also, you want to keep proportions and believable texturing in mind.  Those table tops are really thick (real table tops are what, usually an inch or two?  Those look like they're about a foot thick).  Also, people don't usually make tables out of riveted metal plates (I've never seen one).  And the barrel texture in your second screenshot is misaligned.  Keep at it, though.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 02:24:23 PM »
heh, i thought the bright blue looked kinda cool. It gives it kind of a mysterious, abandoned feel, like no one goes in there now that it's flooded. Although i guess most paintball maps don't develop a plot. Of course there is still room for change, so i might think about that. it was going to be white in the middle, and red in the red base. but maybe ill just use the blue light texture instead of the neon lights.

l1g

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 07:38:48 PM »
I kinda like the blue.  But I agree, maybe you should do away with the neon lights.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »
blue is good, but perhaps not so strong.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 03:07:20 PM »
yeah, i'll probably work on it later today. I might throw in a few white neon lights to make it less blue, but i still want to keep the neon look. Remember, I always try to make something no one has ever used before in my maps.

My goal is that there will be maybe 3-5 non flooded paths and 3-5 flooded paths. Sound good?

Wolf Man

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »
dest soundeth good chum, but neih, doth not thy peels of blue lighting, rather bestow fowing movement among the texture, gving thy futuristic illusion to thy map which thee does owest.   ;D ;D ;D

Wolf Man

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 10:17:40 AM »
wow, no replies yet, did my last post weird everybody out?