Author Topic: Bots?  (Read 2629 times)

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
Bots?
« on: April 06, 2007, 08:32:10 PM »
Is it possible to have different bot scripts for maps so that a bot could actually move along a specified path through the map?  Or is this not possible :S

I've always thought the AI in this game kinda sucked, so maby theres a way to improve? :D

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Bots?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »
It'd be too much work to do individual pathing for each map by hand, but what is possible is to have the bots build node files for each map as they roam. I believe they do that already, but  I don't think they use them. The bots are currently mostly for testing purposes, to actually make the AI good would take a ton of work.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:43:46 PM »
There are bot nodes. But you have to save them manually, however I'm not sure how much they help. The command is "savenodes".

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:57:04 AM »
eiii  I have plenty of time to spend on this :)

I'll try the savenodes, and if that doesn't work maby I'll try programming a bunch of maps that are constantly played in.

Also, is it possible to edit node files?  If so, which program would you use?  And can I create my own node files?  Such as I do say "writenode" then it makes a node file for where I go?  Or is there such a command.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »
C:\games\paintball2\ace\nav is where the node files go.  I really wouldn't bother with it at this point.  When the AI is improved, I imagine the format of those files will probably change anyway.

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »
bots like the unreal tournament or Half-Life 2 bots are bad ass...

but unreal tournament is a bit older and there bot ai was amazing, be nice if ai like that were to be implemented...

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 04:09:50 PM »
If I knew how, I'd help. But I don't know how. :(

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:44:06 PM »
No point trying to improve the AI in my opinion. The game was made for online play anyway. Just my two cents.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »
There are a lot of times when I get on and there are no maps I like or when there aren't many people on and I want to play. So I think it would be better if the AI was improved but I also agree with you too Fyre.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 11:00:58 AM »
No point trying to improve the AI in my opinion. The game was made for online play anyway. Just my two cents.

The game is multiplayer, that includes LAN too.  Sometimes a few bots can supplement and odd numbered team.  Bots help newbies afraid of criticism to train alone and improve.  Bots let you hop in and test maps, weapons, shooting positions and strategies without hurting you rep.  Bots let you play on long train rides, or any other wifi-free zone.

Bots are an essential tool in player development, and the more the AI grows the better players will get. 

What if your internet is out for a few weeks, bots help the downtime grind, but sucky bots just get annoying.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 04:01:36 PM »
So true.

Even if it's pointless to improve the AI, I would like to none the less, as I believe some people would appreciate it :)

If anyone knows how to manually set a node script?  Or maby there is a way to record one in game.  Like say I was playing in my server.  I could type a cmd like "startwritingnode" and it would start to record just like a bot.  Or is this impossible.  HELP!! :D

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 06:34:29 PM »
If anyone knows how to manually set a node script?  Or maby there is a way to record one in game.  Like say I was playing in my server.  I could type a cmd like "startwritingnode" and it would start to record just like a bot.  Or is this impossible.  HELP!! :D

Start up a map and add a bunch of bots. Then just let it sit there for a while on a map. At the end of the round type "writenodes" (I think thats the command) in the console.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »
Do the bots actually even use the nodes, jits?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
Not effectively.

If you guys want better AI, go vote for it in the 2007 feature vote thread. :P

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 04:25:30 PM »
* QueeNiE heads for the 2007 feature vote thread!