Author Topic: Computer/Network help  (Read 1096 times)

Eiii

• Autococker
Computer/Network help
« on: May 13, 2007, 11:32:01 PM »
So far, only one thing has made my computer BSOD. Or, the error message has at least been the same. IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL (bunch of other information). I first noticed it when I used qTracker with no download/upload speed limitations. Okay, so my old USB wireless thingy can't handle tons of data at a time. I downed the rate at which it got data, and I didn't get the crash there anymore. However, more and more often I've been getting it while doing relatively low-bandwidth things. Loading one or two webpages, mostly. Anyway, just today I connected to my neighbor's network to play a couple games of Starcraft with him, and I've gotten this crash three times. Twice just at the beginning of a game, when there's no way that much data was being transmitted and once in the endgame, where tons of stuff had been going back and forth for a while. So I really don't have an consistent situation.
Here's what I think, though: I think it crashes when the rate at which the router is sending/receiving data is significantly different that that at which my wireless thing is. I'm not at all sure that that's actually what it is, though, and I don't want to go out and get a new wireless connect-y thing without knowing that it's actually the problem.

Halp?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Computer/Network help
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 05:36:53 AM »
What OS are you running?

Also, attached the latest minidump so that we can see what is going on when it BSOD's.

ALso take a look at your application and system logs to see if there is a corresponding failure before the BSOD.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:22:02 AM »
I get this problem too. It happens at the same time. As far as I know, I think in my case it's to do with the memory. Have you installed any memory recently?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »
Try different network drivers (or a different card completely)?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 05:48:22 PM »
Sorry about not including the various infos. Here they are:

Motherboard: ASUS something or other. nForce, too?
Networking Adapter: 802.11b Wireless LAN USB Adapter - SMC2662W

Dumps:
1 - 2 - 3

All of the crashes happened while playing starcraft on my neighbor's network, so the connection isn't great. The first and third took place in fairly low-bandwidth situations, while there was a lot of potential activity on the second.
PS-Those dumps really are 'mini' dumps, but I have it set to kernel dump on crash now.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »
Try this:

Run sysdm.cpl and go to Advanced > Startup and Recovery, take the check out of automatically restart if it is there, and select "small memory dump" for the dump type. The location to store these shoutld be %SystemRoot%\Minidump

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

You might also want to use Driver Verifier to look for a faulty driver:

USING DRIVER VERIFIER

Windows has a built in driver tester that may find something.

Before using it you must ensure that you can start in Safe Mode and return from it. If verifier issues a STOP screen, rebooting in Safe Mode is the only way to reset it.

It its default configuration verifier tests "unsigned" drivers; I'd try that first. But you can take the more advanced "developer" options and have it test all drivers under maximum conditions.

There's less to it than meets the eye in this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;244617

To run verifier simply go to Start > run and enter:

verifier.exe

and select "standard configuration" and follow the prompts.

It will run on the next reboot. If it finds something you will get a Blue Screen STOP message.

Ignore the STOP parameters -- they are specific to verifier. The only thing important is the driver file name if it finds one.

If you get a STOP screen you will have to reboot to Safe Mode and run verifier again and have it "delete existing settings"

If you do not get a STOP message you can run it again checking all drivers; driver verifier will continue to run on every boot up until you run:

verifier /reset

or use the graphical interface to delete existing settings.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 07:11:14 PM »
Try this:

Run sysdm.cpl and go to Advanced > Startup and Recovery, take the check out of automatically restart if it is there, and select "small memory dump" for the dump type. The location to store these shoutld be %SystemRoot%\Minidump

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Err... I did post small memory dumps. I just figured kernel dumps would be more helpful. :P

And I'll try that verifier stuff.