Author Topic: adding upgrades to DELL 2400  (Read 1286 times)

Dye32

• PGP
adding upgrades to DELL 2400
« on: January 08, 2005, 09:19:41 PM »
If any of you guys know anything about DELL computers, I was just wondering a little something about adding new video cards on the DELL Dimension 2400  with a 256mb of ram and a onboard video...  What I hear I would have to buy 512mb of ram to run a 256mb video card of an NVidia GeForce 5500, 5600, or a 5700.. I posted about it in another forum on the Dell forum page and I'm asking for other people's oppinioin on this. If any of you guys can tell me anything it would be very helpful to me..even anyone that dislikes me in DP.. I just want to hear about what you guys think..
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_video&message.id=101365

Dye32

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: adding upgrades to DELL 2400
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 12:26:23 AM »
One thing you have to be careful about -- some onboard video cards use the AGP slot, meaning you can't update the video card.  I'm not sure about that model, but it's something you'll want to look into -- you might have to update the motherboard as well.

Heh, I just looked at the thread you posted -- looks like it has that issue.  That sucks. :\  I wouldn't even buy a PCI video card, personally.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 12:37:52 AM »
But...but... that's what I have!

Greatzky

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 01:51:32 AM »
well from what i knwo you don't need to upgrade your ram in order to Upgrade your video card.. I"ve never really even though of that issue before, but from about 10years of putting computers together(i'm only 20.. don't think i'm old) i don't think that will come into effect.

Also on those older Geforce and Radeon cards you DON"T want the 256mb models.. They actually perform slower than their 128mb counterparts. I have read up on many of the top ATI and NVIDIA forums and this is the general concesus.. with older cards MORE ram ISN"T better.  You will rarely need to use that much memory since you dont' normally ever come across a time where there is 256mb needing to be used.

-Greatzky

any more questions feel free to email me. or send me a message on AIM
greatzky@rocketmail.com
oOGreatzkyOo

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 07:56:52 AM »
You will rarely need to use that much memory since you dont' normally ever come across a time where there is 256mb needing to be used.

But you'll need more than 128 almost half the time...