Author Topic: Airball or Real pro maps  (Read 3463 times)

iLL

• PGP
Airball or Real pro maps
« on: April 15, 2004, 06:17:45 PM »
I was wondering is anyone here plays paintbal in real life and knwos how to map.  this would be great becuase you could make some real life fields that pros play on.  see i would do this cus i play paintball and know stuff about it but i cannot map :( so i was wondering if anyone esle could

Xile

• VM-68
Re: Airball or Real pro maps
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 07:39:12 PM »
The game design of digital paint isn't what you would call a realistic simulation of paintball. Those types of maps just don't work. And are not fun unless in real life anyways.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 09:04:56 PM »
i have played real paintball and the only one that i really have been to is just like open feild with trees in it thats it. wont be much fun for dp there is a indoor one were i live but i dont go to that one cost too much

Skyhawk

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 12:16:57 AM »
Yes i am a Pro baller, I've made a Sup'air map but in dp this type of map does not work atall.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 05:38:19 AM »
You guys are correct, DP's playing style doesn't do well with realistic airball, xball, or hyperball type maps.
In my new map, Olympiad, I placed a realistic airball field in the center of other structures and such.

Although DP and its players are not traditional paintball oriented people I thought I would, and probably will again, try to mix some aspects of real paintball into my maps.

iLL

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 06:48:33 AM »
why woudlnt it work out? cus other that that nothign is sperating this game from being a paintball game, just having paintball guns isnt making a apintball game, you have to have teh maps to go with it.

and yes it does work out i played a mod like that before that had real fields and it was better than playing a level that you would see in quake or unreal.  the levels would pretty much be the only thing seperating thsi game from any other first person shooter

and skyhawk who are you sponsored by?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 06:49:42 AM by iLL »

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 09:10:19 AM »
I sort of agree with you guys, but there are some successful realistic-type maps, clubpb, arenaball... I think it's not so much that they don't work, it's that people would rather play a bigger, cooler-looking map with different rooms and stuff.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 09:10:51 AM by admin »

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 02:48:28 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that a big open area in quake2 = lag. A proball/airball type field is basically 1 big area to the game engine.

DAVEW_1

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 05:16:30 PM »
A new one out called compfield  is an X ball map and plays well
its all inthe people not the map :)
 ;D ;D ;D

ANTIX

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 11:33:23 AM »
YA i edited it to be more real now its great/ or will be when completely finished  -ANTIX-

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 01:19:03 PM »
There are a few things you have to take into consideration with realistic style maps, and how pb2 differs from real life:

1) Speed.  In real life, people creep, crawl, and briefly sprint from place to place taking cover.  Physical limitations prevent you from zipping around like Speedy Gonzales on crack.  In pb2, you aren't limited by stamina, and to keep things more interesting, you can move considerably faster than in real life -- sometimes in excess of 70mph.  Airball bunkers provide almost no cover when you're running around the map that fast.

2) Jump height.  In real life, you can't jump 6ft straight up, or double jump off of a box and go 12+feet up in the air.  With a realistically scaled map in pball, people spend more time jumping on or over bunkers than running around them.  Just for reference: a typical pb2 barrel is about the same size as one of those large cylinder air bunkers.  A realistically scaled barrel would be about 32units tall (the size of one of those half-sized boxes).

3) Accuracy.  Weapons in pb2 tend to be more accurate than in real life, as do the players using them.  You can't afford to play real paintball every day, whereas online it costs nothing to sit down and polish up your skills.  If the map is small and open with bunkers providing little cover, the rounds will be very short and not allow much variation.  Round starts, and everyone dies before the round start sound even finishes playing.  Rinse, repeat.

4) Repitition.  Real fields are mostly a flat area with scattered bunkers.  Changing the layout on a real field may make a big difference, but in pb2, it's practically all the same because the bunkers provide so little in the way of cover (see above).  If you play one map with a realistic layout, you've played them all, pretty much.  Combine this with the fact that people put more hours into pb2 than real life, and it can get really dull really quickly.

5) Lag.  The more open a map is, the more polygons get drawn, which means lower framerates and choppy gameplay.  Also, if lots of people are playing, it can saturate the network bandwidth with all the paintballs, players, and other items flying around the screen.

6) There's already about 300 maps like that.  It seems almost everyone who's ever played the game has attempted to make some kind of speedball map, so now we have more maps than players. :)  Just because they're not in rotation on the servers doesn't mean they don't exist.

I hope that clarifies things.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 02:40:29 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:20:00 AM by Dirty_Taco »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 11:15:36 PM »
Phaw again!!  . If you aint got nothing nice to say....
Some valid points though .
Tacosmell you also got sum of the better maps out there as well dont be so modest not to include your self in that realm of a good map maker
Dave w  might be worth time looking at his as well