Author Topic: Ram problem.  (Read 1762 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Ram problem.
« on: June 03, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »
I recently installed FEAR Combat, but it never worked, it always exited with a error, as does paintball2 frequently.
I just bought ArmA (the best effin' game ever) and it wouldn't run at all... with no error message, just a 'send error report' dialog.

So I re-installed all my drivers, as well as DirectX and OpenAL.  It actually corrected a video problem at startup, but the error still existed.   Now I was getting a new error in Photoshop, BSP, and PB2 involving 'memory could not be read'

So I opened up the case, took out one of the 1 gig sticks, it fired right up and everything has ran and ran GREAT ever since.

Except my Photoshop runs slow with only 1 gig of ram, so I'm wondering, if I got that error, is the ram bad, or should I try switching places, or re-installing it?

I don't know if this is related but my system used to say '2.0 gb memory' lately it's said only 1.91 gb. 

Thanks to anyone who bore through this,
y00tz

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: Ram problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »
I don't know if this is related but my system used to say '2.0 gb memory' lately it's said only 1.91 gb.

It does that sometime, don't know why though.

Test the memory that you took out.

Take the known good stick out and put the possibly bad stick in and see if you computer runs.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:10:17 PM »
It sounds like your memory's bad. Figure out which one is bad, and replace it. :D

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 11:08:30 PM »
K Thanks KiLo, I'll pull out the good one tonight and try the bad one.

Eiii:
It sounds like your memory's bad. Figure out which one is bad, and replace it. :D

I've figured out the stick that causes the problem, never tried each one individually though.  Thanks for the reply though :) :)

p.s.  Is trying to run the machine on possibly bad ram the best way to check if ram is bad? :P

offtopic - i'm finishing up the first grass texture for the CTP.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 11:24:07 PM »
There's some ram check apps you can run, I think. But running the machine is just as good an indicator.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 11:34:05 PM »
There's some ram check apps you can run, I think. But running the machine is just as good an indicator.

Thanks Eiii

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »

MaDMaN

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 01:33:43 PM »
his mem is fine. Its some bullexcrement settings in the bios

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 07:48:10 PM »
I'd suggest grabbing the "Ultimate Boot CD".  It has several memory testing programs you can run and is simple to burn and use.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 03:57:13 PM »
When I had the 2 gigs in, it would say 1.91gigs, which was fine because I thought maybe it was the 1024/1000 difference.  Yet, when I took the suspected bad stick out it said 1.0 gb ram.  Needless to say I downloaded memtest86 (and Ultimate Boot, which is very cool) and swapped out what I thought was the good and bad ram. The computer started with the ram in question, but I still got 'memory read error' has my pball server started.  So I restarted, ran the memory test, an hour later it finished and said the ram was good.  So I swapped the order, of the good and 'bad' ram and wah-lah 2.00 gb in the system dialog, as well as no errors yet.  Now to get back to those textures.

KiLo, Eiii, MaDMaN, ViciouZ and Jitspoe, I'd + ya if I could, but I can't so thanks so much for the help.

Cheers,
y00tz

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
Which memory test did you run?  Memtest 86 doesn't "finish".  It just runs until you stop it, I'm pretty sure.  Usually I leave it running overnight.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 05:39:19 PM »
It said 'test finished, hit esc to reboot' or something like that.  Odd, it did restart but it was running the same tests and the message was still there saying it was finished.  I guess I ran the default test? I didn't know I could switch.  It must have ran at least 6 or so before I left to go eat.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »
It's been a while since I've run it, so I don't remember specifically what it does, but it does run multiple tests with different patterns.  I thought it just incremented the test number indefinitely.