Author Topic: REQUEST: Map Zone Brushes  (Read 1901 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
REQUEST: Map Zone Brushes
« on: March 13, 2005, 10:01:35 AM »
If any of you have played Rocket Arena 3 you may have noticed that when you post a team message it is sometimes preceded with the name of the location you are in.

Example from ra3map1:
  S8NSSON:<Small Atrium> Need help!

This is achieved with area brushes. They are fully clipped brushes that simply have an area name associated with them, and cover the entire area. If you are in an area brush your team message will post that area's name immediately after your name and before the message (like example above).

I think it's a great idea!!

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Re: REQUEST: Map Zone Brushes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 10:17:27 AM »
Ok i just read this: http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=739.0 which kind of goes itno what i was talking about.

I don't know this $loc_there here stuff but i will check it out i guess.

I still think the idea that i posted (that exists in many games) is a good one. It would mean that existing maps would either be out of luck or need to be redone. New maps, from implimentation on out, would have the option of doing area brushes on the map makers side!

DO IT!!!!!!!! :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »
I can do it, but I'm trying to decide what would be the best implementation.  Should it be client-side or server-side?  Shuold the location be sent on EVERY team chat message?  That might clutter things up too much.  I could probably tie it into the current loc file system pretty easily, and it would work better than using point locations.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 07:41:18 PM »
I think it should be on every team chat message being that team chat is mainly used for recon. Are you considering adding an areabrush entity? That would rule. And along with the current loc system you could have location data on every single map old or new, whether the mapper placed area brushes in or not. Having the mapper place areabrushes in would basically take the task off the player of setting his/her own location data.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 02:30:25 PM »
Maybe just for active players then?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 06:15:01 PM »
I think it should be on every team chat message being that team chat is mainly used for recon

hello my point !!!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 11:50:43 AM »
I think it should be on every team chat message being that team chat is mainly used for recon. Are you considering adding an areabrush entity? That would rule. And along with the current loc system you could have location data on every single map old or new, whether the mapper placed area brushes in or not. Having the mapper place areabrushes in would basically take the task off the player of setting his/her own location data.
Yes, but jits and I don't think many people would even try to put these ents on their map. Anyway, it's easy to define locs. Try it.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 06:13:43 PM »
easy for who ?

I completely understand this great job s8n on defining what i was asking for thank you sir very very much

defineing locations by ur self , hah . how many differnt ones would we have lol

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 06:57:53 PM »
easy if you learn how. Anyway, the "locations" should be easy to tell just from what it says.

"Red Base" is about the same as "Red Flag"

Anyway, we should set up a place to DL them. I already have a lot.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 08:08:49 PM »
if team work is going to be must to your game jits push this to its max,however u must