Author Topic: Enforcing "sv_login 2" (need to be logged in)  (Read 1584 times)

Matze

• 68 Carbine
Enforcing "sv_login 2" (need to be logged in)
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »
All ch1ll servers are now set to sv_login 2 so everbody has actually to be logged in in order to join a server.

I already had that enabled on the match servers for about one and a half week now, but judging by the high ID numbers of the database, everybody seems to have a registered account and knows how to use it, so I went ahead and enabled it on the public servers, too.

Jitspoe also said that would make cheat detections/identifications alot easier, so thats another good side effect.

I'm making this post in hope that some other server owners will enable that option on all their servers, too.

There is nearly no negative thing about it, the only thing i could think of that you couldn't play aliased on pubs anymore because you might care if you'd play with your real name and didn't play that good.

Y2J

• VM-68
Re: Enforcing "sv_login 2" (need to be logged in)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:59:03 AM »
there's no negative to it at all. gt people were complaining about total newbies ruining the gaming experience, most of them don't have a registered name. make them come to this site, register, and come across the wiki or something hopefully.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 02:29:36 PM »
Even though i don't play on the ch1lls, it's good you are admining the servers well and trying to help out jitspoe and the community at the same time.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 03:00:14 PM »
to be honest, I believe sv_login 1 is better for public servers, so I will keep my pub with that.  The reason is simple:  a first-time user who has not registered an account yet would immediately be kicked and not have an idea why, and would probably quit the game within seconds. Even with 10,000 accounts now registered, I believe there are many players who do not have an account yet and many players that simply want to test the game without a big hassle.

Y2J

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:33:55 PM »
if you make a good MOTD, wouldn't that explain the reasoning for the kick though? Just put something in there about this server required you to go to www.dplogin.com and create an account ; and while you're there check out the forums/wiki/etc for help getting started.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 04:35:36 PM »
If i play a free(!) game for the first time and i can't get it to work because of w/e, i'll leave it.

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 05:25:11 PM »
If youre getting kicked for not being logged in it gives you a whole good explanation as of why (no account, need to register, www.dplogin.com - just in a good text form).
->

Since there are about 10.000 players now, I dont think it would hurt if about 10 people wouldn't stay because they didnt want to register, in fact they would have to register anyways sooner or later.

Those contra arguements are valid points and all.. but I think the positives are still more than the negatives and that's why i leave it at "2"