Author Topic: Game freezes build A-18  (Read 2566 times)

DOXY

• PGP
Game freezes build A-18
« on: June 08, 2007, 08:48:58 PM »
Hi,

downloaded this game to play with my kid over home LAN, and I'm trying it out alone here.  I start a game, either in player or observer mode, and I'm navigating the map.  It's running wonderfully for a while, but every few minutes the game locks up for 10-15 seconds, loops the last sound played, and is solid frozen.  Then it resumes just as it left off, playes fine a few minutes, and freezes again.

Occasionally after one of the freezes I'll get a message about sound buffers, and how it's switching to a secondary buffer or something, don't know if it's related

This old box isn't fancy, but I thought it would play this game .  1.8 ghz sempron, 512ram, xp, radeon 200 int,
 ac97 int

This is just in single player (me running the maps messing around)  haven't done any multiplayer yet.  I tried to record a vid of the freeze with fraps, but the freeze killed the fraps recording.  It does this with reflective water on or off.

Any ideas?

Doxy

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Game freezes build A-18
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 08:50:48 PM »
Try build 19.  It should fix that.  You'll have to download it from the forum thread as it isn't officially released yet.

Spook

• Autococker

DOXY

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 09:17:08 PM »
I just tried build 19, and same thing.  Maybe I updated it wrong though.  I replaced the paintball2.exe and the ref_pbgl.dll with the newer ones.  The q2a3d file looked identical.

At first it seemed to freeze up less.  The first freeze happening 2 1/2 minutes into a 20 minute game, and then not another for 4 more minutes.  But after that, it was locking up every 40 seconds or so.

I didn't see any messages about sound buffers that I recall this time though.  Just the freezing thing. 

Other than that, the game looks beautiful.  I'd just hate to wonder what'd happen if I froze up in a DM every few minutes :)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:05:54 PM »
Are you running any virus scanners? There was one that my school forced me to use while I was there, and it was a pain to play around/with.

twistdid

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 10:57:15 PM »
= The sound buffer thing will happen everytime you go out of the game like alt-tab out and when you come back in that will happen. It doesn't do anything that would make you lag.

- Twistdid -

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 11:35:23 PM »
I replaced the paintball2.exe and the ref_pbgl.dll with the newer ones.  The q2a3d file looked identical. 

Yes, but did you replace everything?  Even if it looks the same, it's probably updated, after all, why else would he release an update?

DOXY

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:39:29 PM »
I think I got it. 

By habit, whenever  my firewall reports a program requesting internet access I always deny it unless I'm using that program online somewhere. 

When you click "begin" after starting a new game , the game attempts to access  something (?) and if I permit the access at that time, no freezing.  When I deny access, the game does the freezing. 

I don't know what it needs a connection for, since I'm just running the maps by myself, but allowing the access fixed the problem!

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 11:42:29 PM »
I think I got it. 

By habit, whenever  my firewall reports a program requesting internet access I always deny it unless I'm using that program online somewhere. 

When you click "begin" after starting a new game , the game attempts to access  something (?) and if I permit the access at that time, no freezing.  When I deny access, the game does the freezing. 

I don't know what it needs a connection for, since I'm just running the maps by myself, but allowing the access fixed the problem!

When you start up, do you login or does it login in automatically?  If so, thats it.
Also, if by default servers contact the global login database, that could be it too.

Nice job.

-y00tz

DOXY

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 12:03:27 AM »
When I start the game, I get a login screen for something, but I don't have an account or anything, so I esc out of that to the main menu.  I had just intended to do the LAN thing.  (Although the game looks so nice I might actually   get online with it after seeing it)  My only experience with online games is Zdaemon, I haven't tried to get paintball2 online yet.

The connect attempt I mentioned occurs just after PLAY-->Start New Game-->[Begin]   and upon clicking Begin.  That's when the firewall pops up and I had been denying access.  The last 2 times, I allowed it, and the in-game freezing didn't occur either time. 

Now I just gotta get it running on the computer in the other room :)  (It won't run on the other computer because it's an old crappy laptop whose video card won't support open GL.  I might have to get another box for in there.)

Thanks for all the help & advice.
Doxy

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 02:45:47 AM »
Hm, it's probably trying to communicate with the login system and/or serverlist.  I guess I need to make sure that's disabled for local servers.

maranellovortex

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 05:29:45 AM »
i got the same problem as u, so what do i do....go into norton anti virus, turn fire wall off and anable the game to go through?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 11:31:05 AM »
Either norton, windows firewall, or both.