Author Topic: Obviously mapping ^^  (Read 2304 times)

JustAnotherPaintballer

• PGP
Obviously mapping ^^
« on: August 16, 2007, 04:33:49 PM »
Uhmm, I want to make a map, and Im not stupid but if anyone knows how to make maps, can you add me on msn I have a few questions ( Yes I read the stickys, but I need it explained differently ). Thanks

Krewzer

• Stingray
Re: Obviously mapping ^^
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 04:35:52 PM »
If you ask your questions here then maybe we all can learn from them.

JustAnotherPaintballer

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 05:17:21 PM »
Maybe, but I got lots :P

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »
Do like this:
-question1
-question2
-question3

JustAnotherPaintballer

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 06:34:35 PM »
I bet kinda a map, then saved it, added to beta, but never see in list ( I read the stickie, but explain more plz ) thanks

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 07:19:35 PM »
If you have everything set up correctly, it should launch paintball2 after it finishes compiling.  I configured the tools to write the maps to an "inprogress" directory so they don't clutter up your maps directory.  To load the map manually from the game you can type "map inprogress/<mapname>"

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 10:09:11 PM »
To load the map manually from the game you can type "map inprogress/<mapname>"

Or if you use my menus, you can select it under the "inprogress" section when selecting a map. ;)

JustAnotherPaintballer

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
can somebody please add my msn ( ridgeys_55@msn.com ) .. That knows some or alot about mapping

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 08:33:25 AM »
First off get on IRC. Second there is a channel there about mapping. I can't remember the channel so if someone does please post it.

Edit: The channel is: #pbmappers

JustAnotherPaintballer

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 09:11:45 AM »
I rather somebody add me on msn.. or x Fire (ridgey55)

JustAnotherPaintballer

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 09:40:28 AM »
I made a lil map, but when go in it.. I keep falling down and my mouse shows and stays where I move.. :s help?

Krewzer

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 09:44:31 AM »
It sounds like your player spawn is outside your map.

JustAnotherPaintballer

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 10:02:31 AM »
Yea it is, and I dont know how to get it in, and how do u make dj's?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »
OMFG I just want to pull all my hair out when someone does this...wait...I almost don't have any hair left as it is.

This is what I see...
1) Wants to make maps.
2) Has absolutely ZERO knowledge about how environments work in Q2 engine
3) Has absolutely ZERO knowledge of how to make a map (obvious from No. 2)
4) Has no patience
5) Can't read, or doesn't know how to use a search engine.

NO you can't have my MSN...I don't want you to bug me for all eternity like half the world does already (sorry I ever gave out my MSN to begin with).

OMG I JUST USED GOOGLE...how on earth...

MY ADVICE TO YOU, Mr. MapperNubcakes....READ READ READ.

WOAH LOOKY HERE:
http://www.manicapathy.com/index.php?p=games/quake2/mapping/

OOOO AND LOOKY HERE:
http://www.gamedesign.net/node/11

AND JUST FOR YOU....AN ABSOLUTE BEGINNER'S GUIDE...BUT WAIT....it doesn't show you how to make things...THAT'S RIGHT...it's PHILOSOPHICAL...YOU MUST KNOW THE ENGINE(how the game works in general basically) YOU ARE WORKING WITH IN ORDER TO EFFECTIVELY MAP FOR IT.
http://www.gamedesign.net/node/44

READ ALL OF THESE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
....................................................................................then ask questions.

BTW...you map has to be SEALED...don't know what that means?   READ FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

Krewzer

• Stingray
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 11:51:32 AM »
heh S8NSSON good advice.

I'd have to agree with S8SSON, you need to read up on the subject of map making. Start with making just a box with a light and spawn and learn from that.

But if you have questions about mapmaking, don't be afraid to ask them here, even S8NSSON will help ya.

What are dj's?

To move your spawnpoint you can click on the spawn in the 3D window and use the keppad keys to move it. It has to be inside the map but not in the walls.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »
dj's = double jumps?

After you read all those links I posted you will discover that the world you are making your map in is a big giant space.
You have +/-4096 units to work with in the X, Y, and Z axis (read to learn what those are).
You have to, by creating walls, floors, and ceiling/skies, have your "MAP" area enclosed and SEALED.
If during your compile you notice ***LEAKED*** in the compiler's console window, your map is NOT sealed.
You MUST also have all you entities INSIDE your sealed map. You can not have spawns, lights, guns, ammo, func_trains, water exposed inside the map, or anything else outside of your "SEALED" map area. Example: Look at the map Blitz. It's a sealed box. All other correctly built maps are sealed just like this, except some maps are much more complex.

DOUBLE JUMPS are not something you build according to a formula or directions. You jump, and while in the air to contact an edge of a brush and issue another jump. If done correctly you FLY LIKE THE WIND.

GO READ NOW