Author Topic: Active in the forums but not game?  (Read 4302 times)

Spook

• Autococker
Re: Active in the forums but not game?
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 06:51:58 PM »
mhmm, it's college algebra & trigonometry, all jumbled together. I guess i really don't skip calculus, sort of kinda do. if i were on the normal math track, i could choose between college algebra or calculus for my senior year.

after completing this class though, i will have all my credits to graduate, so next year i don't even have to take a math class.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 07:06:59 PM »
That's really odd. College algebra is usually basic algebra
I highly doubt that. I started taking algebra in 7th grade...

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 07:12:25 PM »
mhmm, it's college algebra & trigonometry, all jumbled together. I guess i really don't skip calculus, sort of kinda do. if i were on the normal math track, i could choose between college algebra or calculus for my senior year.

after completing this class though, i will have all my credits to graduate, so next year i don't even have to take a math class.

That's not two years ahead. That's standard, at least so here. Specifically, here, you take most of algebra in both middle school and your sophomore year. You take geometry in your freshman year. In your junior year, you take precalculus, which is just analytic geometry, the rest of fundamental algebra, and trigonometry. Senior year is calculus usually, though some people choose to take just Advanced Placement statistics, and leave calculus for college. Actually, it's pretty standard across California, seeing that this is what most of the universities are used to.

I highly doubt that. I started taking algebra in 7th grade...

College algebra covers analytic geometry and trigonometry too. It's not just fundamental algebra. You can argue with me, but both Google and Wikipedia side by my stand.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »
Well here our math courses go as follows. Freshman take Algebra, Sophomores take Geometry, Juniors take Algebra 2, then Seniors take College Algebra or calculus.

I took algebra in 8th grade, then geometry freshman year, then algebra 2 last year, and now i am in the college algebra course. Not every school will be the same, so don't go by the standards of where you live to compare your education to ours

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 07:24:51 PM »
What you took coincides with what the track is here.

But anyway, schools are obviously not the same. School schools do better on tests than others. I'm not trying to say our system is any better, but the truth of the matter is, we need some standardization. Before college, none of this really matters, but once you enter the working world and college though, it will matter. If you're not as competitive, regardless of your background, you're just not going to succeed as well. I think it's good to know where everyone else is, because it helps you know what you need to do to be competitive. Schools in other countries are taking calculus many years before we do. I'm not trying to pick on your case, but for example, we're in no way better, math-wise, than those students in these other countries.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 09:17:34 PM »
If you have never been on IRC how can you know you are "ok/good"?
Gee looks like you are wrong, I'm on irc everyday, probably just not your channels.
 ;)

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 11:53:17 PM »
My reason:

I have less and less time to be online in general, due to personal issues I am not willing to discuss. However, I love to play even though I am not that good.

Also, I really enjoy making something work, and I really enjoy moding. I hope to one day help Jitspoe develop this game (kinda doubt that will happen though :P). But I think I need to practice finishing projects that I start before anything (I'm getting much better).

Ditto.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 01:48:52 PM »
College algebra covers analytic geometry and trigonometry too. It's not just fundamental algebra. You can argue with me, but both Google and Wikipedia side by my stand.
You just said you start taking algebra in middle school, then you said basic algebra (which, to my understanding would be what you take first) is college level stuff. All I'm saying is that you contradicted yourself.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 02:07:23 PM »
*y00tz recalls back to his HL Math, International Baccalaureate days...

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 02:57:26 PM »
You just said you start taking algebra in middle school, then you said basic algebra (which, to my understanding would be what you take first) is college level stuff. All I'm saying is that you contradicted yourself.

I didn't, or so I didn't mean to. If you take basic algebra in college, it's called college algebra. If you take basic algebra in middle school/high school, it's called algebra. College algebra, to be specific, really equals "pre-calculus," because it covers a little more than just basic algebra. I'm not sure there are college courses that learn just basic algebra.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 06:58:02 PM »
Ok what is the topic again

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 11:15:05 PM »
Ok what is the topic again

It's Fullmetal_Steeb's topic, if he wants to take it in whatever direction he wants, I'm going to have to allow.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »
I'm going to have to allow.

Haha. "Mac has issued a salutation. Cancel or allow?"

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2007, 01:03:30 PM »
Allow... *sigh* I hate these things. lol.

Yeah, how did this topic get to algebra?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 01:28:18 PM »
Munchies isn't too smart, that's how :P

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 06:05:08 PM »
:D who?