Author Topic: Crappy game using paintball engine - Please help  (Read 1955 times)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Crappy game using paintball engine - Please help
« on: September 26, 2007, 09:44:27 AM »
So I decided to try and make a game with the paintball engine. To see how the current game was divided up, I copied my baseq2 folder into the paintball2 folder and started paintball2.exe +game baseq2. It worked, but when in game, my ammo did not show, and the co2 bar was on my hud. Can anyone help me get rid of it? I have done a few menus for paintball and some jpgs and tgas already, and made a few rscripts, so I don't really want to switch engine. I saw on jitspoe's joint however that you can use paintball to run Quake2 with good compatibility and no huge co2 bar. So could anyone help?

Thanks,
Steve

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Crappy game using paintball engine - Please help
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:58:25 AM »
Easiest is cl_hudstyle 0 (this prevents the client-side hud from being drawn and uses what the server sends to the client).  You can hack all the client-side hud stuff out if you don't want to keep it, but you might as well keep it and tailor it to your needs.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »
Next problem: How do I get the Q2 quakec code? I mean I know the engine is source, but how do I make a gamex86.dll? I'm pretty sure you don't just decompile. I'm going to start off by just modifying the weapons using a few tutorials I found, but first I need to get the source or whtever open... Any ideas?

I almost forgot: thanks XBain, hudstyle 0 worked like a treat. <3

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:01:15 AM »
QuakeC was for Q/QW.  The game DLL source can be found in the Q2 engine source code distribution.  You might be able to find the closed source game DLL SDK on Fileplanet, it would've been released in '97-'98 I think but would only contain the 3.20 code (if that) and not any of the 3.21 fixes that you will find with the open-source.  If you're looking to make a PB2 "mod" with different weapons, settings, etc. then you're in for quite the task.  I'm experimenting with an API proxy DLL to do the "pro-mod" stuff.  (Kind've like how Q2Admin/BWAdmin works).

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 01:04:25 PM »
I found the game source thanks to JeSsE and got it working with y00tz's help. Thanks.

The actionquake2 reloading code seems immensely difficult to understand, let alone implement into the quake2 gamex86.dll. I need help............ It seems the actionquake2 people don't like comments in code.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »
Why not just use actionquake2 as a base?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 12:06:03 PM »
Because I need hardly any of the other features. I'm going to use ReloadQ2 as a base, Paril is going to release it in the next couple of weeks.