Author Topic: My DDay Map Idea  (Read 2514 times)

Termin8oR

• Autococker
My DDay Map Idea
« on: October 03, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
Hey if anyone would like to take a shot at creating this map I would love for it to be finally made, because I do not have the time to map out a layout for it.

If this map is possible and done i would like to add my idea's into it if that is okay with whoever creates their version.

I also will be picking the best layout that everyone likes and would be good for pubs/matching.
Remember this map is DDay which means a seige map.

This is just a bad pic of what i am kinda looking for:

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
Re: My DDay Map Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 07:11:51 PM »
The idea is sweet :D

Although my small 256MB worth of RAM is probably excrementting itself right now.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 07:25:26 PM »
I don't think trench-based gameplay would work that well. If you can be out of the trenches, then it's extremely easy to get someone that can't move as much inside them.
Second, that map just kinda looks boring. Even if it is just a basic sketch, put more into it.

I think this is the 3rd attempt at a DDay map. The other one I remember was horrible.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 07:27:43 PM »
Lol yeah Eiii, maybe I will just let it die out.
But i really would like to see someone make this map.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »
Ill try to take a crack at it this weekend.  School stinks.  My map can wait lol

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:45:03 PM »
Meh, I dont think it would be possible to make a map that "open" look nice.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 08:46:42 PM »
garret if you decide to make this map...watch saving prvt ryan and check out the layour of the dday map in battlefield 1942(i think)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
Meh, I dont think it would be possible to make a map that "open" look nice.

You could make it look nice, but r_speeds would reach record highs.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 11:34:30 PM »
What not to do is design this after a movie or game, if it's going to be done at all. :-\

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 11:57:06 PM »
Yeah, take your advice from Eiii the best mapper known in DP.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:15:32 AM »
I've seen a map with a similar idea to this doing the rounds, I think it's called 'CallOfDuty'. It's a seige and quite small, and in my opinion not very good.

The idea has crossed my mind before but I think there are a great many drawbacks to it, even though some of my favourite levels on other games have been based on a similar concept. Those which immediately spring to mind include:

- Vising would be a NIGHTMARE, so r_speeds would be huge.
- Given the spray and pray nature of DP, trench warfare doesn't exactly lend itself to DP's gameplay strengths. I.e it would be a bit slow and the weapons' natural advantages/disadvantages don't draw any parralels to the sort of gameplay dynamics you get, say, on Call of Duty 2's El-Alamein map.
- If you are attacking the fort to grab the flag, and presumably have to escape back to the boats with it, it might be hard to get balance issues right for attacking/defending teams. I mean, consider the REAL d-day's k/d ratios... 43,000:23,000 allied to axis KIA's. Not many people will want to play a map where they die twice as often attacking as defending! (probably...)
- What with our limited palette of textures and such, it might be hard to make the routes memorable enough so that people aren't hopelessly lost in a maze of tunnels for a long time before they get used to its complex layout.

Good luck if you undertake it anyway, I'd quite like to see a proof of concept.

- Dagless M.D

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 01:44:51 PM »
Okay guys, this was only an idea. It doesnt need to be done but I was just wondering if someone would like to give it a try.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 05:02:11 PM »
Ill try, I could get it to work.  No hurt in trying.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 08:37:53 PM »
Thank you Garret, I would like to see someone's attempt at the map, if it doesnt turn out the best I would just like to see it.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 05:21:20 AM »
Just to clarify, i wasn't being disparaging about the idea, just explaining the drawbacks that need to be addressed with a map like this - by all means have a go, I'm sure someone could do it justice! Just address all the drawbacks you can think of in the design (which all designs have) and you'll go a long way to making a well rounded and fun map.

good luck!

- Dagless