Author Topic: A question of my own about DP 2.0  (Read 4081 times)

SonicHumanoid

• PGP
A question of my own about DP 2.0
« on: February 05, 2003, 05:50:01 PM »
I got Quake 2 back in 1999 or so. I played it for a while and then got bored. Then I discovered its amazing multiplayer capabilities. I rediscovered my love for it. But I soon got some other games and just kinda put this game away for a while. Fast-forward to November 2002: I'm on Gameranger (a multiplayer game program for MacOS) and I see a Quake 2 game with a mod labeled as PBall. Being curious, I gave it a try. I dug the CD out, downloaded the OSX update, and started the program. I downloaded the files through the program. It took a while (even with my cable modem) but it was well worth the wait. I will forever see that day as the day I rediscovered Quake 2. But I was no longer playing standard CTF or Deathmatch. I was playing Digital Paint!

I'm on a Powerbook G4 and have been playing DP since November. My problem is that I read here that DP 2.0 is a standalone app. The problem with that is that I'm using Mac OS X and the app is for Windows. DP is the only way I've been playing Quake 2 ever since I got it. ;D

I hope you release a mod version of DP 2.0 for us non-Windows users. I don't care if there would be some color glitches; I just want to play. You would satisfy tons of MacOS 9/X and Linux users who also love DP if you release it. Please, I can't imagine a night without having somebody to play Paintball with. :-[

One more thing to people who respond to this post: Please don't turn this into a platform war.

Fryth

• VM-68
Re: A question of my own about DP 2.0
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 08:26:45 PM »
Wow, I had no idea Paintball worked at all on Quake2 for Macintosh. Currently, there's nothing stopping you from using the mod version to play on servers; I was under the impression that a ban on the mod version will be coded in, but I'm sure the intention was never to exclude anybody. I'm no developer, but I bet they would be interested in your help with keeping DP compatible on the Mac.

SonicHumanoid

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 06:50:26 AM »
Yup, it works. When I downloaded it through Quake 2, it had some color glitches and missing textures, but other than that, it was fine. When I downloaded the full install from Gamespy, it initially didn't work. But I looked at the console and it said something about a problem with some files (I think one was autoexec.cfg and another was a .dll file. There may have been more that I forget about). But once I deleted them, it worked. I've also helped another player with a Mac (Dr. Jerm) get DP to work.

Thank you for the reply.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 01:39:18 PM »
I dont know much about coding but wouldent you need a mac to code for a mac?? Or at least learn mac coding ?? Sounds like alot of work =] Maybe you should jump on board and get a PC like the rest of us did 15 years ago! Just messing with ya.. that would definatly suck if I found myself not being able to play DP again when I wanted to..

SonicHumanoid

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 05:54:54 PM »
Amazingly, I've never needed to do any coding to use a supposed Windows mod (which is good since I never learned how to). I don't know if it's because the whole Windows/Mac mod thing is just a myth or if it's because I'm using a MacOS X update. But whatever it is, I've successfully gotten DP, Action, and Chaos to work on my Powerbook by doing what I did, so I'm obviously on to something. And I now have somewhat of a list of the files I deleted to get them to work. I'm not sure if all of them needed to die, but these are the ones I killed
commands.cfg (though I think it created a new one)
gamex86.dll (I'm pretty sure this was the big problem file)
motd.cfg
server.cfg
autoexec.cfg (I don't see this one on the list, but I'm pretty sure I deleted this one too)

Does anyone know where I can download the mod version of 2.0? Thanks in advance.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play DP while watching The Best of Beavis and Butthead disc 2.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 06:49:37 PM »
Hate to tell ya.. they arent (or from what ive heard) going to make 2.0 for quake2.. its , its own game now... Im surprised you were able to get rid of gamex86 and still play... hmm what are your binds stored in ?? On windows your binds are stored in a cfg file. Server and motd arent loaded unless your running a server...autoexec stores the basic default commands, not required but if MAC doesnt understand a cfg file this would have autoloaded with pball and might have caused some problems..

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2003, 07:28:41 PM »
If quake2 runs on the mac, any mods should work on it just fine.  The game code (gamex86.dll), however, won't, so you can't run a server, but all the client side stuff should work just fine.

As for making a mac version of 2.0... eh, ick.  If we put the anti-cheat stuff in there it most likely won't be feasible.

SonicHumanoid

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 10:47:53 AM »
I never plan to start a server cuz I'm only on a cable modem and I take my laptop to school during the day. Also, for bindings I just enter them on my own when I start the game. Who should I contact about a mod?

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 12:42:57 PM »
Contact for this Mod ?? Jitspoe is probaly your best bet =]

SonicHumanoid

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 01:32:14 PM »
How do I reach him?

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 01:51:27 PM »
Look above your last post youll see jitspoe.. below his name you should see 'Email' And 'Instant Message' All you should have to do is click on those.

SonicHumanoid

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 09:35:46 AM »
I tried sending a message to Jitspoe, but I got a return e-mail claiming that the account was disabled or something. Jitspoe, are uou there?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 12:56:36 PM »
Err... that still has my old email in it.  Um, just post anything you have to say here -- I check these boards pretty regularly.

SonicHumanoid

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 04:02:27 PM »
Alrighty then.
I think I have some Mac OS X development tools somewhere in my huge CD collection. I don't know the specifics on them and furthermore, I have no idea how to use them. I don't know if it would as easy as somehow getting the source code from you and then compiling it under a Cocoa interface, or if you know some things about coding and could probably make some sort of a list on what to do. But then again, that probably wouldn't be possible seeing how the development environments are different.

If that isn't possibe, would it be possibe for a mod to work on the servers?

I would love to do anything I could to spread this game to other MacOS/Linux users out there, as this is truly a gem of a game!
(After playing DP, all other mods, with the possibe exception of Action and Chaos seem slow, poorly thought out, and boring)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2003, 12:45:46 AM »
I have no idea what kind of libs, compilers, etc there are for OSX, nor how to use them.  I highly doubt it would be as simple as sending you the source code and having you compile it.  Even if it were, there are some issues with the anti-cheat stuff we plan to implement that just really wouldn't be possible to work out on another OS like that.

SonicHumanoid

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2003, 06:04:34 PM »
I think they're mostly BSD UNIX - based.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2003, 06:55:47 PM »
Hmm, maybe Sad will know something about it.  He's our resident unix guru. :)

SonicHumanoid

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2003, 08:10:34 PM »
Does he post here?