Author Topic: Player pings getting kinda weird  (Read 1546 times)

vague312

• VM-68
Player pings getting kinda weird
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »
ok i started a small public server the other day everything all said and dandy but every now and then the pings would go threw the roof 1000+ causing everyone to get stuck.

Im using an old HP cpu

What would cause this? bad connection or just overwhelmed?

Im not sure if this is weird but when i run the server off my laptop over a wireless connection the pings dont seem to act up as much even tho im playing the game at teh same time.

any ideas?

thanks
---Joe

(good games to those playing yesterday lol)

vague312

• VM-68
Re: Player pings getting kinda weird
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 10:30:22 AM »
forgot to mention

my connection is DSL and the pings started to shoot up at about 6-7 players on the hardline PC but i had as many as 10 players with no real prob over the wireless.

would the processor speeds make a difference?

thanks again

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:35:09 AM »
It's just that you don't have enough bandwidth for all of those players to be playing on your connection.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 10:43:26 AM »
It's just that you don't have enough bandwidth for all of those players to be playing on your connection.

You missed the point he made about it being fine on his laptop (on a wireless connection of all things).  If you could post more specs about the system you're running the PB2 server on, we can see if we can rule out processor/memory/whatever as the bottleneck.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »
CPU?

I can run the server and the game simultaneously on my other system with a Pentium 4 with hyper threading. On this system, the server drops all connections if I try to run run the client simultaneously.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »
Not a clue whats with the wireless i didnt think it would work at all next thing ya know bang players lol.

ok here are the specs.

---Old HP desktop
basic LAN cable connection into the modem, Win XP pro 2002, 512 MB Ram, Pentium 3 868 mhz, Netgear LAN card

---Toshiba laptop
Vista (sucks), 1 Gig Ram, duel Centrino, cant find the wireless properties

Im guessing its the processor speeds?
Im still learning

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 05:33:46 PM »
how much other things have you running on that HP desktop?  I'm running a couple of servers from a similar machine, and they're perfectly fine for everyone

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 05:54:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's the CPU. If my crappier computer can't handle it and the CPU is both newer and has a faster clock speed, I am pretty sure a Pentium III 868 MHz processor has no chance. Your laptop's CPU is dual too.

When you run the server, track the CPU usage in Task Manager. If it's hitting the ceiling, then you know you can't run both.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 07:54:36 PM »
no other real programs running on the HP.

Im pretty sure its just the comp also. This is the first time i personally saw the stats next to each other and i guess ill just keep using the wireless. If its working might aswell use it.

ill keep tinkering with the hp. if i can find a solution ill post it up in case anyone else has the same prob.