Author Topic: Driver help  (Read 1503 times)

Kaos

• VM-68
Driver help
« on: December 06, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »
after to reformatting from xp home to xp pro i relized that i ahd no sound and my mic didnt wanna work so i went into my device manager to find 2 things missing
both drivers for my sound and mic if any 1 can help me that will be greatful ill upload a sshot of my device mananger

Herron

• VM-68
Re: Driver help
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 11:11:54 PM »
what kind of soundcard do you have?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »
If you bought your computer as a complete system from a "brand name" company (Dell, Gateway, eMachines, Acer, etc.), go to the support area of their website; punch in the model number and look for any drivers for onboard/integrated components.

If you built your system yourself, or bought a 'custom' machine from a smaller computer store, find out the manufacturer and model number of your motherboard and goto their support area and find any drivers that are applicable for the model that you have.

You'll more than likely need to install a Realtek AC97 audio driver since that's the most common onboard sound card.  I'd recommend using the ones that the manufacturer has listed on their website, since they've certified them to work with their hardware.  Newer/older ones that you find on the first couple pages of a Google search may or may not work.

If you're having too much trouble tracking anything down, post your computer's Make/Model or any names/numbers found on motherboard box that may have come with a custom built machine.  I don't mind doing a quick search for you if you've exhausted your resources.

Offtopic: Third time writing this post.  I've got an IBM Thinkpad T40 that has a page back/forward button just about the left/right arrows on the bottom right of the keyboard.  Does anyone know a non-hacky way of "unbinding" these keys so that they no longer work in IE6/7.  I don't use them for anything else, and I'm pretty close to just throwing those two keys in the garbage. (fat fingers...)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 12:41:30 PM »
@Offtopic: I read "hacky" versus "non-hacky" at first and I was going to suggest prying the keys off =(

Is there a program that starts up with the system to make the keys work?

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:12:24 PM »
i got to this and dont know where to go http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=1815742&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&lang=en&cc=us

Edit:mmh looking around i foudn this
Sound/Audio

* Controller: AC97 audio

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 03:05:15 PM »
sry for the double post but i jus fixed my sound all that is left is getting my mic to work

this is what i have now

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 08:37:23 PM »
Sounds like you have to turn the mic volume up in your sound mixers.  That's in Start > Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Volume Controls.  Then in one of the obvious selections in the File menu (forget what it is, I use a linux desktop...) gives you a window to select the recording or capturing mixers.  These volume controls pop up and you can unmute your mic or increase the volume of it as necessary.