Author Topic: Ganja  (Read 8729 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Ganja
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 02:35:51 AM »
loial: feel free to ban him from the server.  If you set sv_minclientbuild to 14 or something he probably won't play anyway because he uses an old q2-based client.  He's already been permbanned from #paintball long ago.  Looks like he hasn't matured any.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 11:00:26 PM »
Ganja I have been kewl with you. You have always been kewl with me.

Uni, Bob how many times was your named spoofed can you prove it was not? Can you blame me for calling you ganja,goose,bob out.

Who is to say who is who? Untill there is somehting to prove id, dont be pissed if I call you out. Its the nature of the game we play, and I am trying to be fair not a whine bot.

Jitspoe I want you to do the banning you have access. If you dont mind this is you baby. You have my premission but i dont understand how ur banning Ganja.

Derrek

• Stingray
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2005, 10:55:39 PM »
I really hope that you're (you're) not banning people based on names.

If that is so, then people *will* start name spoofing, if not just creating new names every time they connect.

IP banning....well that *should* work until the next time their cable/DSL modem reboots, and they get a new DHCP addr.

Subnet banning would work more better (thats right, more better) except it causes 'friends' and neighbors to get eachother banned (ASSuming they are on the same subnet.  When one gets banned, both get banned).

MAC address banning is a bit better, but face it.  MAC addresses can be faked as well.

All these technologies can be cuircumvented by the determined.  Most of those that are hacking are determined enough to curcumvent most of this stuff.  Perhaps a unique ID assigned at install time via the client.  On top of that, some sort of simple registration process (nothing fancy.  No personal info like a email address.)  combine that with a subnet check.

heh...better yet.  Have a stats system that *if* you build your stats up (read: you've been playing long enough to be trust worthy, and have accumulated enough kills), then you are allowed to pickup the better weapons and barrels.  that will force people to start playing better, and playing more fairly (as to not get kicked) so they can get better weapons.

Get some sort of anti cheat/authentication system in place or this will just continue.  There will always be the Ganja or the Snipen or others that *MUST* have the advantage and cheat in some way or another.  (in Ganja's case with me, he personnaly attacked my wife to get the better of me and make me play worse cause I was more concerned with sticking up for her.   When that wouldn't work (as with other players he played against) he would start to actually cheat. Obviously or not.)

-Derrek

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2005, 11:48:49 PM »
derrek both your posts tonight are going directly to jitspoe, when he has time .....

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 10:56:39 AM »
I don't like the idea of requiring a certain stats level in order to pick up equipment.  New players would be really screwed then.

Derrek

• Stingray
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2005, 01:51:12 PM »
Then what would you suggest Jit?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2005, 06:31:38 PM »
We'll start with a basic login system then move on from there as necessary.  Even if you had to "level up," being stuck with low-end weapons wouldn't stop the verbal abuse.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2005, 01:20:26 AM »
Isn't that what /ignore is for?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2005, 02:03:20 PM »
True.  That's the best way to deal with that type of thing.  I need to implement an admin mute option where an admin can simply mute somebody and nobody can see what they say.

Derrek

• Stingray
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 08:18:51 AM »
I like that idea Jit...mute the spammers.

I know that you have the auto spam protection built in (ei., some one speaks too quickly, then it mutes them for 10 seconds) but it does not seem to work all the time.  Maybee keep a stat on how many times a phrase has been said, and mute them based on that phrase for like 5 minutes. :)

Is there a /ignore option in dpball?  i would love to use that.

-Derrek

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »
  Yes the /ignore works good, I think it was added in build 14.  I used it a couple of nights ago when someone accused me of wallhacking and was rather obnoxious.  First you need to type either "players" or "names" to get the player number, then type "/ignore 3" or whatever that persons number is.  To remove it just repeat and rinse... errr... repeat.
  I beats the heck out of arguing over the internet.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 02:06:47 PM »
Eventually I'll make it so you can right-click on somebody's name and ignore them... eventually. :)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 05:29:41 PM »
I was wonder why you can highlight a player ;)