Author Topic: What would make you use IRC?  (Read 2752 times)

mRokita

• Autococker
What would make you use IRC?
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:53:39 AM »
Hey!
I have been thinking about DP last time, I even played on a public server yesterday :).

So well, there are some good reasons to make this community use IRC.

- IRC, unlike Skype doesn't need you to add anybody to contacts
- IRC, unlike Skype or TS3 doesn't need a good PC so it won't affect your framerate in any way
- IRC, unlike TS3 has one, official channel where all the DP players can meet, not all the people can/have any reason use TS3 - not everybody has a mic etc.
- IRC, unlike Skype or TS3 has useful bots for renting DP servers, gathering useful information etc.

So well, good contact is important for our match scene, and, as we see, TS3 and Skype aren't a good solution. IRC used to work some time ago and I see no reason to think that it is not good for nowadays.

~mRokita

PS
I'm sorry for my English, feel free to correct me ;)

JeongWa

• Autococker
Re: What would make you use IRC?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 05:14:43 AM »
Hello,

- IRC unlike Skype, is ugly and old.

- IRC unlike Skype, do not allow you to start any vocal conversation

- IRC unlike Skype, require to auth everytime and wast 30sec to log in, which is boring unlike skype

This is way to old, and there is way more -- than ++ for IRC to be better than skype.

You can rent servers easily and adjust the settings you want just by clicking a link without typing a command unlike IRC

We already tried to bring most of the active clans on IRC, it has worked for the next 3 days. And then people do remember why did they left IRC.

Instead of doing that, you should start a thread with a list of Clan / people that can team up for matches and give you their skype infos.

Make a skype conversation with all the people you listed, a conversation ONLY used to scrim, and moderated it by active players.

You dont want people to talk in it, but just scrim.

Davew_

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 05:57:55 AM »
irc lets you get back into channels  where you can get people to  scrim or match

there even used to be server scripts that would let you temp rent a server for a match

we used to have about 35 to 40 people in the irc scrim channel for DP and then each CLAN aka TEAM had their own registered irc channe
l
you found a scrim  or match  got the ip and password then took your team into the game

there were also LIVE scores in a seperate irc channel coming from the servers as the big tournament event was taking place..

these were the golden days of dp and irc blended together..

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:05:03 AM »
IRC unlike Skype, is ugly and old
IRC is a protocol, it has a huuuuge list of clients, it's up to you which one you will use.
You want something modern?
Look at http://kiwiirc.com/.
The Android IRC clients are much better than the Skype - some of them are even material.

Some people tried to make a DP skype group, it didn't work.
Skype sucks, it's so buggy and heavy. TS3 is the only legitimate tool for voice communication.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 06:14:59 AM »
Alright, i'll do it myself.

I don't wana arg on why IRC is boring, and why people are actually using skype instead.

It wont make people back, this is just how it is.

I Believe Europeans use skype more than the NA scene, but feel free to join skype, and the conversation that will be created. I already know that most of the European Clans find matches on skype.

Good luck with IRC.

And For kiwiirc,

People are using Skype at moment,

I don't really want to bet on the futur tools that people will use to get in contact, and if it does happen, then i'll use it and find what ever i was looking for there. But for now, i know that most of the clans are using skype.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:37:58 AM by TeMaRu »

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »
I said why skype lacks many features that are useful in this case.
Skype isn't a good tool for communication in a group of random people.
It's buggy and destroys your framerate on older PCs, even when you aren't using the VoIP feature.
IRC is a great tool used by a large group of the free software community. (look at the networks like freenode)
Skype is fine for communication in small groups like teams.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
IRC is easily scriptable.
'nuff said

Davew_

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »
IRC will always have a place, skype is buggy junk excrement not designed for gaming hell why didnt you are least try xfire for simple no lag communications.. if you are just text typing across a platform skype is overkill with resources also..