Author Topic: The solution to all committe problems!  (Read 3855 times)

Cobo

• Autococker
The solution to all committe problems!
« on: January 03, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »
Ok so I noticed that a few minor problems have been going on in the community and somehow the committe gets pointed at as the root of everything evil and unpure in this world... Oh, and also the root of the problem.

So I decided I would come up with some ideas that may help this game become what we all want: A game were there are no sides, no one breaks the rules and there are no personal attacks. I'll refer to this perfect scenario as dptopia.

Idea number 1
Alright so we all know that the committe members have been taking sides lately. I mean, they always side with the people that dont break the rules! How fair is that!? That's no way to reach dptopia. So thats why I came up with this idea: Kill all the committe members. It wouldnt have to be anything fancy, just a quick stab in the heart and we're set. That would certainly teach those bastards to stop taking sides.
Of course we would have to replace them after we kill them, and after that, kill the new members. But hey, at least we'll stop the side taking since they will be a little busy bleeding out to vote on anything, creating the illusion that they are totally neutral. That is what we want after all, isnt it?

Idea number 2
So if you didnt liked the last idea here's another one: Introduce a set of rules that everyone has to obey no matter what. I really like this idea because it gives the game a religious feel, 10 amendments style. Here's a rough draft of what the rules could be:
Rule number 1 - Say anything that the committe doesnt like and you are permabanned.
Rule number 2 - You shall not play against a committe member and win.
Rule number 3 - You shall not hack, unless you have really really really really really good excuse to doing so.
Rule number 5 - Asking about rule number 4 will get you permabanned.
Rule number 6 - Making a box map will get you permabanned.

And for the sake of going with the religious feel I decided I would create a prayer, everyone would have to chant it before a match and such, otherwise you'd be dammed to eternal suffering in hell... err, I mean permabanned:
Committe who's totally sideless.
Bless your decisions and make them efective in earth as it is in heaven,
Give us this day our daily ban, and dont forgive no matter how much we nag.
Lead us not into temptation, for the ban is long.
But deliver us from hacks, amen.

Idea number 3
Lately I've noticed that dp is very unbalanced. I mean, some clans have more wins than others, some people play more dp than others, etc. Thats why I came up with this idea. My main objective here would be to remove everything unbalanced about the game and its community, and I present it in point form:
 * Everyone will always show the same post count in the forums, no matter what. Also, everyone is only allowed to a max of 1 post per day.
 * You will only be able to play DP for a maximum of 3 hours per day.
 * On those 3 hours of the day, your resources will be limited to 300 paintballs, 2 CO2's and everyone will have to play with the same gun.
 * On matches... Actually, forget about matches, every clan will display the same Win to Death ratio in their clan channel.
 * You may only have 1 map in DP, and everyone will have the same one (I havent decided which one yet, blitz came to my mind because its a nice, even, and simetrical map)

DP + communism = dptopia for sure.

Idea number 4
This is probably the best idea I had so far, I say that we replace all the committe members with bunnies, they are just so cute that people wont be able to disagree with them. We'll probably have a hard time teaching a few bunnies to play dp (BECAUSE WE KNOW THAT IS A MUST IF YOU WANT TO BE IN THE COMMITTE!"), how to use the forums and how to permaban someone. But trust me, it will all be worth it in the end.

So those are my ideas. What do you guys think?

FlaMe

• Autococker
Re: The solution to all committe problems!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »
the bunnies idea is by far my favorite

Magical-Tree

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »
Paha, let the truth be told in this thread.

I think it's time to accept that the idea of the committe has flopped. It was a good idea IN THEORY, I was all for it, Now I think it's a major waste of time. Maybe we should go back to the old ways of jitspoe being the all seeing eye over DPtopia?

~MT

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »
Jitspoe doesn't have the time to deal with the menial tasks the Committee handles.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 06:54:16 PM »
Lekky said it.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »
Let's start a sub-forum specifically for complaining about the committee. I have a feeling %90 of it's posts will be made by about 4 people, though. ;)

At least some good threads came out of this whole committee-bashing ordeal.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:02:09 AM by P!nk »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:29:34 AM »
Paha, let the truth be told in this thread.

I think it's time to accept that the idea of the committe has flopped. It was a good idea IN THEORY, I was all for it, Now I think it's a major waste of time. Maybe we should go back to the old ways of jitspoe being the all seeing eye over DPtopia?

~MT
How has it flopped?  It wouldn't really be any different if I were making the decisions alone.  This same crap has happened before, except directed at me, personally.  It doesn't matter if there is 1 person making the decisions or 10.  Sooner or later, there are going to be people upset with the outcome.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »
Actually, Blitz isn't perfectly symmetrical.

Idea: Jitspoe tells the committe about the situation, but without mentioning the name(s).  That should get rid of the biasing.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »
Actually, Blitz isn't perfectly symmetrical.

Idea: Jitspoe tells the committe about the situation, but without mentioning the name(s).  That should get rid of the biasing.

The only problem is that all the people on mirc knows everything about anything even before it happens.

P.S. map should be SpawnInABox ftw.

Suggestion - open a subforum only for committee - I think that was asked before at the beggining, where community can see how the committee has voted on some issue, and committee members must state why they voted that way. I don't believe they are always on the same side.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 02:08:49 AM »
where community can see how the committee has voted on some issue, and committee members must state why they voted that way. I don't believe they are always on the same side.

Like in DPcup'06

I agree. There is no logical reason for this not to be public.

Period.

How can we vote for people when we dont know what there stance is!

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 10:22:08 AM »
Suggestion - open a subforum only for committee - I think that was asked before at the beggining, where community can see how the committee has voted on some issue, and committee members must state why they voted that way. I don't believe they are always on the same side.

It would be easier to move some past discussions into the Paintball Discussion board, after sensitive material was removed... I'm very happy with the outcome of the committee so far, but I wouldn't mind seeing who is and isn't giving their opinions in the committee related matter.

Is this the first time a double-blind committee system has been addressed?  I highly doubt the outcome would change if the name was taken out and all the facts left, but who knows. 

Heh, hard to believe I've been defending the committee lately, I wanted to remain completely neutral to it's progress, but I can't stand to see good hardworking individuals drug through the mud for simply making the tough choices we wouldn't want to.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 11:50:24 AM »
I don't really see why we can't see where certain committee members stand on certain issues- I'm all for removing sensitive information and posting the (now locked) threads in a (locked) sub-forum.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »
As long as I can be the king.

PaRaDeaD

• Stingray
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 02:02:54 PM »
I have the best idea! Lets just stop banning and let everybody hack! It would be soooo funny!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »
I don't really see why we can't see where certain committee members stand on certain issues- I'm all for removing sensitive information and posting the (now locked) threads in a (locked) sub-forum.
That just means more work for us, having to go back and edit out sensitive information, move threads, etc.  I don't know that it would really accomplish much, either.  People would start nitpicking each and every individual decision and start attacking individual members of the committee for their opinions.  Also, some situations need to be re-visited, and it's necessary to keep all of the relevant information there.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »
I agree it'd take work, but having the committee-process-decision-thing be completely opaque sounds a bit dangerous to me. We can just lock/delete threads attacking the committee if they become too pervasive/offensive- their decision is, after all, final.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »
I love rules 4, 5, and 6. lol

Is this the first time a double-blind committee system has been addressed?  I highly doubt the outcome would change if the name was taken out and all the facts left, but who knows. 

I like the idea of having names removed and just the details of what happend.  Then they really can't be biased.  Except they will probably just find out who did what on irc. :-\

This same crap has happened before, except directed at me, personally.  It doesn't matter if there is 1 person making the decisions or 10.  Sooner or later, there are going to be people upset with the outcome.

Now I don't know what you get in emails or private messages and such.  But, when you were the sole moderator it was more of a dictatorship.  What you said goes.  Yes, people would complain and try to get out of things.  But in the end they would just have to admit they were wrong, realize they can't mess with the god of the game and get on with life.  Now with the committee people just complain about the decisions saying they are wrong or biased.  I'm not saying the committee did or didn't do anything wrong.  I'm saying that when it is just Jitspoe it's his way or the highway.  I understand he doesn't have time for everything.  Maybe he could have someone else for the cheat detection software so he wouldn't have to worry about that.  Maybe the committee could be used for player disputes, clan issues, and help for things like accounts and stuff.  But, maybe only Jitspoe should be responsible for bans and not other people.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 12:46:52 AM »
Hahaha.  I just got around to reading this.  Idea #2 is the best.

Hitman: Jits banns the player(s).  We vote on it, and he acts based on the results.  And if he wants to override a decision, he can.