Author Topic: Feature: Warsow-like voting system  (Read 13627 times)

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Warsow-like voting system
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 09:28:26 PM »
one more thing, muting someone should only mute them in the public talking. not in the team talk, since that could be abused in matches were a team has more members. If a team wants someone to be muted on their team talk it should be done thorugh something like a teamvote.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 09:52:22 PM »
maybe exploited was a bad word. what i meant was, by having a vote kick, it would mean there would be constant votes for kicks from 12 yr old kids that just want to laugh or have fun. instead of using it to kick hackers/cheaters or idle players.
yah, but unless enough people vote for the kick, nothing will happen. so yah, you'd see a bunch of vote requests, i suppose ... but that could happen with voting to mute a player, too - or any other type of vote for that matter.

i don't know if you have ever played while people are constantly voting to change maps. sometimes i see people that just join up in the middle of a game and vote to change a map. by only allowing the voting in the beginning and ending of maps, it would force people to finish the map once it starts.
hmm, i guess i haven't. i didn't know map voting in the middle of a game would make anything happen.

just let them vote. it's the right way.
ok, that's fine then.

one more thing, muting someone should only mute them in the public talking. not in the team talk, since that could be abused in matches were a team has more members. If a team wants someone to be muted on their team talk it should be done thorugh something like a teamvote.
completely beat me to it - i was thinking the same stuff.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 09:54:35 PM »
yah, but unless enough people vote for the kick, nothing will happen. so yah, you'd see a bunch of vote requests, i suppose ... but that could happen with voting to mute a player, too - or any other type of vote for that matter.
hmm, i guess i haven't. i didn't know map voting in the middle of a game would make anything happen.

You do know that the conventional way of passing a vote is if more than half of the votes made is positive do you?

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »
yah, that's exactly my point. what did you think i was saying?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 10:04:08 PM »
yah, but unless enough people vote for the kick, nothing will happen.
You made it seem like if no one votes no and a few people vote yes, the vote still wont happen.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 10:37:34 PM »
ah gotcha. actually you're correct, that's kinda what i was thinking.

maybe for a vote request to be enacted, first it could check whether a majority (over 50%) of the players in the game voted on the issue, then if a majority of those who voted chose the 'yes' option. then and only then would anything happen.

does that sound reasonable or not?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 11:40:38 PM »
ah gotcha. actually you're correct, that's kinda what i was thinking.

maybe for a vote request to be enacted, first it could check whether a majority (over 50%) of the players in the game voted on the issue, then if a majority of those who voted chose the 'yes' option. then and only then would anything happen.

does that sound reasonable or not?
... no

You do know that the conventional way of passing a vote is if more than half of the votes made is positive do you?

We dont need to figure out how to do new stuff for things where an implied standard is already there.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 11:47:58 PM »
well then. i guess you didn't see the reason behind what i described. so let me explain.

it would prevent situations where there are say 16 players on a server, one person says some stuff that gets about 3 of the others really inflamed, one of them starts a mute vote, and it passes by a majority among those who voted on it - but the remaining players that didn't vote just abstained cuz they didn't care about muting the guy. in this case, should the guy still get muted since a majority didn't care?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 01:31:15 AM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/vote.php?id=10061

-1 - I liked cobo's idea for a configurable voting system better.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 01:35:43 AM »
yeh, maybe. but of course what i'm arguing about now is how the voting code should work.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 01:38:01 PM »
in warsow, the amount of votes it takes to pass is dependent on the amount of players. i am not sure of how it figures it out, but let's say there is 15 players it would say something like 6 yes votes needed to pass or something.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 02:46:12 PM »
There's like 20 different votes you can make in warsow.  Some of them are:
Lock/unlock teams
Change map
Restart map
Kick
Mute
Enable/Disable warmup
Warmup time
Gametype (ctf, tdm, duel, ffa, clan arena)
Timelimit

There's a main cvar that enables/disables voting, then for each different type of vote there's a cvar to disable that particular vote. i.e. g_disable_vote_kick, g_disable_vote_mute.  Things like gametype let admins specify which gametypes are available to be voted. i.e. g_votable_gametypes "tdm ctf".

There's also a g_vote_percent which lets you specify what percentage is required for any vote to pass.  That would be the percentage of the entire server, so you end up with things like 16 players on a server, 8 vote yes, 0 vote no, 8 don't vote and vote fails.

If you're a player, you vote by: /callvote map wdm1 or /callvote warmup 0.  Doing just a /callvote timelimit shows the current setting, and if applicable it will list all of the available options.  It's not perfect and gets abused on pub servers, but for private servers it's good because you don't have to give out rcon passwords to anyone that wants to change maps or switch from tdm to ctf.  Also, there's only one vote ever happening at once.  The votes each last 30s or so.