Author Topic: Mininova: Content Distribution  (Read 1669 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Mininova: Content Distribution
« on: December 21, 2007, 09:09:14 PM »
This might be a good idea for Build 20 (final?) or Build 21.

http://www.mininova.org/distribution

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Mininova: Content Distribution
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »
Who  is Mininova's primary userbase?

In ignorance I must ask, and I'm being serious here Bain: isn't Mininova primarily used by those looking to steal software?  Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I really hope I am.

I'm certaily not a saint, and definitely not one to question intentions and ethics - yet I must ask, would a community filled with users and visitors of mininova be a bad thing?  More people is good, yay, we all cheer, but would we be subjecting ourselves to perhaps a worse community?

It's an unfortunate reality that torrenting is associated with cracking, hacking, bug exploiting, lack of morals etc.  I use torrents for Linux distibutions only to be honest... I using all of my bandwidth for a long period of time to get a 3-4 gigabyte file, when I could spend a week tearing through the downloads at 15-100k/s 

Seriously, I'm not being stuck up, and I surely hope you can see that - I'm mostly playing devil's advocate, but can someone fill me in on Mininova?  I know some torrenting sites _are not_ filled with TV shows, DVDs, etc. 

That said, I really hope someone (jitspoe or the comm) takes the initiative and gets a good, bug-free build up there.

-y00tz

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:17:58 PM »
I agree with y00tz. We have plenty of bandwidth/mirrors now, no need for torrenting.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 12:04:26 AM »
Yes y00tz. mininova is a torrent site usually used to steal software and movies and w.e else youre looking for

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 01:07:32 AM »
In ignorance I must ask, and I'm being serious here Bain: isn't Mininova primarily used by those looking to steal software?  Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I really hope I am.

Sounds good? You can apply now! Make sure you meet the following requirements:
    * You are (or your company is) the copyright owner or publisher of quality content.
    * You would like to distribute your content for free.
    * You agree that you will not upload DRM-protected content or spam.

Edit:
If no one puts up the next stable build, I'll post it.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 01:34:28 AM »
I realize XBain is referring to this new content distribution feature, which I'm definitely not against, and  I can't imagine a scenario where a user thinks "man, there are just too many ways to obtain this :("

The distribution would surely help the game's numbers increase, I'm just .. hesitant/curious about WHO it may draw to the game.

As Zorch's post indicates, the distributed content would definitely have validity and is held to a standard, so surely nothing but good could come from this.

Re

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 07:14:32 AM »
I am wondering if submitting to places like http://www.nonags.com might not be useful instead of torrents. There are quite a few sites like that.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 07:39:47 AM »
y00tz, whether you like it or not, I'm guessing a large, large percentage of current players already do what you fear.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 01:10:54 PM »
Yeah it's not like putting the file up on torrent sites is going to ruin the DP community.  I mean it's not like it could get much worse.