Author Topic: Need a Better Cell Phone Plan  (Read 11386 times)

coLa

• Autococker
Re: Need a Better Cell Phone Plan
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2008, 01:24:29 AM »
different companys  give you the option to switch over your current number. look into it.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 01:30:46 AM »
Don't you have to get a new phone number for those?  That's not really an option since I've got my resume circulating all over with my current number and I've had recruiters calling nearly every day.

Yeah that might be a real problem there.

Hm...you can port your number to other carriers--sometimes. But maybe your best bet would be to call up the living hell that is Sprint customer service and see if they would have mercy on you by granting 1000 extra minutes this month. Then you could make this decision when you are not over a barrel.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »
Jits, check out this Sprint SERO FAQ from Howard Forums.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/SPRINT_SERO

Doh, nevermind, stupid Sprint won't even port your number to themselves.

lol

But others might find it interesting. Unlimited pic messaging, unlimited texting, 30 bucks for 500 minutes.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2008, 11:04:56 PM »
Wow that video was great.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »
hahahahahahahahahahaha

loved the vid.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2008, 08:29:11 PM »
Well, t-mobile doesn't have good service here, so it's either Alltel or AT&T (or stick with Sprint).

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2008, 01:58:23 AM »
If you are signing a new contract anyway then just take the new phone they give you and sell the one your sister gave you on ebay to offset last month's bill. Or if you go with ATT just activate your sisters and sell the new one.

You could sell the phone on Craig's list as well and save shipping. But you might meet some thug who will steal your phone! So I suppose it depends on your risk tolerance.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2008, 10:00:21 PM »
http://www.net10.com/portability.jsp?task=number_portability

Looks like net10 may let you port your number. They offer straight .10 per minute. Their coverage area doesn't appear that strong, but if you don't do much traveling it would probably work great.

http://www.net10.com/images/covmaps2/1100P_MAP.jpg

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »
wirefly.... 

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2008, 04:27:34 PM »
As  I understand it tracfone can port your number too. And if you get the 200 minute cards, and the double minutes for life card you can get 10 c a minute for an initial investment of about 65 bucks with the phone and double minutes for life card.

If you find a one rate CDMA tracfone it will usually operate on alltell or verizon, and have good coverage.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2008, 08:19:44 PM »
Actually, tracfone has only 2 reported dead zones last I checked. They run off every cellular companies towers for the best reception almost everywhere. The bad thing is you have to buy the largest card so your minutes are good for a full year. If you buy a small card they will expire in a couple of months.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »
Actually, tracfone has only 2 reported dead zones last I checked. They run off every cellular companies towers for the best reception almost everywhere. The bad thing is you have to buy the largest card so your minutes are good for a full year. If you buy a small card they will expire in a couple of months.

True. But 3 months should be enough for 400 minutes for most folks. And since there are two underlying technologies out there, the coverage is not the same on a CDMA tracfone and a GSM. Go with the CDMA in my opinion.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2008, 11:04:23 AM »
I might be able to shed some insight to the number of minutes used as I candle all 200+ cell phones for my company.

My typicall user is under 1500 minutes a month.  This includes nights, weekends, and personal use.

I have a few users that peak over 3000 minutes a month, but their job demands that they be in the field and on teh phone almost all the time.

I myself, typically use less than 1000 minutes a month as I usually handle everything via email.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2008, 12:17:07 PM »
*whew*  Made it through this billing period with 3 minutes to spare.  197 of 200 minutes.  I might just stick with this.  Once things settle down, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2008, 08:10:37 AM »
virgin mobile isnt too bad, i had decent coverage in Akron Ohio.. and its powered by sprint...