Author Topic: Revisit spawning code  (Read 14282 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Revisit spawning code
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 12:09:56 AM »
I changed CanInteract() to IsAlive(), and it "works", but it takes into account players that were alive the previous round, so what ends up happening is the first player spawns in the very back of the base, the next in the very front, etc., almost every round.  I think I'm just going to leave it alone for now and focus on getting the download stuff wrapped up so I can put out a new release.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 05:14:29 AM »
but it takes into account players that were alive the previous round, so what ends up happening is the first player spawns in the very back of the base, the next in the very front, etc., almost every round.

Me and Herron were debating whether or not CanInteract() would pick up on that or not.  Going through some very old changelogs (circa chasecam spawn bug) we though that it might be okay since players would be despawned.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
There is a brief, and I believe necessary, moment at the beginning of the round where players cannot interact.  Basically what needs to be done is add a new player state for spawning and check against other spawning players.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 11:22:54 PM »
a) If there aren't enough spawns, shift the spawn points over so people spawn next to, instead of inside of, other players.
b) Avoid spawning people in another person's crosshairs.  The way the spawn furthest code currently works, if you have an enemy in one side of your base, they can just sit and spray the other side of the base and people will continue to spawn to their death on the far side repeatedly.  I'd almost like to make it so people will spawn behind or on top of spawn campers (ie, if somebody is sitting in one spot and kills someone immediately after they spawn, the next spawn would be place directly behind them, if possible).

100% yes.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 10:34:19 AM »
Mka eit so that it tests if someone's crosshair is in the spawn point BEFORE they spawn. If so, then spawn on the person minus whatever unit on the x axis relative so that they spawn behind.

I can see how this may slow the game down slightly. For example: respawn in 1 sec...............respawned.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 12:13:52 AM »
good one

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »
I may not know the code but I can still give suggestions on how to improve it :D :D