Author Topic: strange bsp or paintball2 or windows error  (Read 3121 times)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
strange bsp or paintball2 or windows error
« on: February 08, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »
okay, so I've been making a few maps recently. So i've been using the (very useful) tutorials. And after making a few, i exported them using qbsp.bat compiler (just for testing). When i came to maing a much better and bigger map, I found it was leaking. So i fixed all the leaks, compiled it for basic testing (using qbsp.bat) and, unlike the others, when i came to open it (using pb2) it loaded up the map, but then the moment i moved, it came up with that windows error about error reports and needing to close. any ideas? The attached map isn't nearly good enough for real releasing, but i thought i might as well put the map here

Krewzer

• Stingray
Re: strange bsp or paintball2 or windows error
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
hmm... I see absolutely nothing on that map.  Maybe it's just me?

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »
probably his computer... windows error reports are the biggest waste of ram

Krewzer

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:29:07 PM »
I don't see any brushes at all, is what I meant.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:30:12 AM »
It took me 70 seconds to QBSP that, then I loaded it and it did what he said.

Firstly, there is a mirror feature, where as your map isn't symettrical.
Secondly, 70 seconds is waaaaay too long, spaint only takes like 3 seconds and that's bigger.

I'd suggest redoing the map using the mirror feature and without all those huge overlapping brushes.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 06:30:36 AM »
yer i did all of the overlapping brushes that to fix the leaking
it was only a test map but what i don't get is why the error report is coming up. could it be too much ram being taken up or is that what you meant, flame?

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 06:37:20 AM »
something along those lines. I've had problems like that, try just letting the process run without clicking much at all. sometimes my dp will do that if i get restless and start clickin the screen when it doesn't load fast enough.

otherwise try installing dp to a diff location nd see if it will open in that one just to see if it has something to do with file-paths or corrupt files... happens sometimes

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 06:39:47 AM »
sometimes my dp will do that if i get restless and start clickin the screen when it doesn't load fast enough.

Sounds to me like your computer is a P.O.S.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 06:41:33 AM »
Sounds to me like your computer is a P.O.S.

Sounds to me like im gonna backhand you.

...i need to install another RAM stick, i had 3 but one of em was corrupt so I put it back to two so thats why but it doesn't happen often, only when I'm torrenting and the stuff doesnt download off the server fast enough

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 07:58:31 AM »
just a bit off-topic, but i've noticed that the fast map downloads arn't always fast, and sometimes are just as slow as build 19

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »
just a bit off-topic, but i've noticed that the fast map downloads arn't always fast, and sometimes are just as slow as build 19

Theyre only fast if your client AND the server are on build20 and have sv_allowfastdownloads or w.e it is set to 1
Some build 20 server admins chose against fast downloads i'll assume or the server youre using is still running a build lower than 20

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
well, i switch between them.
thanks, anyway

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 09:36:32 AM »
sorry for the double post but i redid the map using mirror, etc. (spent about 3 hours on it) I tried to use as few brushes as possible (making tubes only 1 segment long, etc.) but the same error comes up when I compile it using qbsp.bat. I have attached the .map file for anyone that can do something with it to make it work (I'd like to release it and get some feedback - credit will be given). Sorry for the large file size.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »
I've just realised... Those towers with the staircases must have at least 500 brushes in each! Rendering that in-game would screw it to hell.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
in the older BSP it wouldn't show any brushes at all, and in the newer release it wouldnt compile at all! its leaked and has max verts errors.

If you're new to mapping, I'd strongly suggest you start small and work your way up! Overlapping brushes is never necessary, so don't do it even to fix leaks.

- Dagless

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 02:46:38 AM »
heres the final (in qbsp.bat)

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 06:20:31 AM »
 You attached the .map

Why would one release a map compiled with qbsp? You dont get lighting, and im not sure what good would it do besides the bad things? If you have a bad computer or cant leave the comp running for long hours, then ask somebody else to compile it for you.

From your post I can assume that you dont have any lighting in your map, therefore your map is not final.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 02:40:17 AM »
sorry, i was going to release a final compile, but it wouldn't let me atach it. forgot to change the post to say the .map and instead of final compile. didn't really think there. dunno why i said qbsp.bat

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 08:24:52 AM »
If you want to post a map that is in the .bsp format, you need to the file into a .zip archive.  Once you do that, you can attach on here.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
Thank you.