Author Topic: Feature Request: File checks for modified textures  (Read 3904 times)

Herron

• VM-68
Feature Request: File checks for modified textures
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:24:27 AM »
I'd like all of the base textures to be checked with the modified content system.

Also, if there is ever an official high-res texture pack released, I would like for all of those textures to be treated as game-protected content as well.  (Feature request for an official high-res texture pack here:  http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=12113.0)

I would not, however, like file modification checks on high-res textures that are not included in the official high-res texture pack.  For instance, if the first official high-res texture pack is a partial release and includes a texture for box4_1.jpg but not one for box4_2.jpg, I would like box4_1.jpg to be added to the filecheck system, but not require the client to use the low-res version of box4_2.jpg until an official high-res version is released (although still have the filecheck for the low-res version in place whether there's a high-res version of it or not).

How many games let you use your own textures?  I'd say "none," but I'm sure there are at least a few.  Either way, the vast majority of games regulate this, and I think it should be similarly controlled in DP -- but not at the expense of requiring things to look less visually appealing than what some of us have grown accustomed to with our current high-res textures (hence my request that filechecks not be made on high-res textures that do not have an official version and allowing their continued use until an official texture is released).

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
Re: Feature Request: File checks for modified textures
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »
Howsabout it runs a check, and if anything 'malicious' is found, it screenshots it and sends it to the committee/jitspoe.  Because I know I would hate to have to deal with getting my ban appealed because I was simply using a better looking h4r, or a new one, that didn't come with the pack, and wasn't used as 'cheats'.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10109

-1.  Checking every single texture would really overload the system, not to mention slow the game down.  I think it's better just to spot check a few.  I've added some more textures to the list, but checking all 200+ would be overkill.

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:24:55 AM »
What if you just put all of the low-res textures in a .pak and all of the initial high-res textures (assuming you offer official high-res textures) in a .pak as well?  Then you could just do a checksum for the lowres.pak and highres.pak and individual checks for any future high-res textures until all of them have been completed and then just put everything into one official textures.pak

Yes, it'd make people redownload all of the textures once you've compiled this final pak, but that's a small price to pay for uniformity and a reduction in allegations of cheating -- just my 2 cents.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:50:48 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10109

-1.  Checking every single texture would really overload the system, not to mention slow the game down.  I think it's better just to spot check a few.  I've added some more textures to the list, but checking all 200+ would be overkill.
Didn't you have a list at one point of the most commonly used textures in maps?  If you did, you should do a recount and then just have a check for the most commonly used ones.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:56:50 PM »
hmm, I think that using your own high-res textures would be stupid of jits released an official high-res texture pack because theres already high-res textures everywhere anyway! That's if jits releases them soon and complete. There'd be no people to police about not using official textures.
anyway, cheating is defined by you gaining something from doing something outside of the program. By changing the textures, you're hardly gaining anything, just making it better (in your opinion)

man, my posts are getting long