Author Topic: Feature Request: Official High-Res Textures  (Read 7171 times)

Herron

• VM-68
Feature Request: Official High-Res Textures
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:09:59 AM »
We need an official high-res texture pack that is included with the game.

Edit
My argument is that I think we need some uniformity with the textures people use, although I know it's incredibly subjective as to which textures people like the best.  Perhaps in the case where there is more than one high-res texture currently being used by the community, a vote for which texture the community would prefer should be used to determine which one will become the "official" version.

However, I do not believe that this vote should be redone everytime someone makes a replacement for a current "official" high-res texture or else there'd be new arguments every day about which texture is better and who likes what and "omg i've played this for 10 years and you're a newbie and my vote counts more than yours."  This does not preclude jitspoe from changing the official high-res texture sometime in the future if he so desires -- I just don't think it should be an ongoing vote with textures changing every 3 weeks because someone got all their friends to say they like their texture better.

Also, I think file checks should be implemented on all "official" textures (both low and high resolutions) -- feature vote for texture checking is at:  http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=12114.0

Speaking of high-res textures, those were at or near the top of the old feature vote list, but nobody has requested it for the new one yet.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:35:15 AM by Herron »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Feature Request: Official High-Res Textures
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:19:09 AM »
THANK YOU!!!!

This needs to be the officialyl sanctioned and supported hr pac.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »
Agreed! And also, I have noticed most of the hi-res textures are MUCH better than there low-res counter parts, and I believe that when the hi-res pack is officially created, the low-res ones should be re-created as low-res versions of the hi-res texture pack. :)  Should there be a Community High Res texture pack starting, since there are over 3 or 4 different current packs, I guess you would have to vote on which ones are best.
-Cusoman

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:29:30 PM »
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10107

I'm surprised it took so long before somebody requested something related to high-res textures.  It was at or near the top of the old feature vote list.  I'd really like to get a wiki set up to help organize any collaborative efforts for the high-res texture pack, so be sure to cast a vote for the mediawiki as well.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »
I'm not surprised it didn't come up until now since almost everyone wants to pass around their HR4 folder, y'know?  I'm voting for it though :)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »
Are there hi-res textures already out there that I can dump in my texture folder to make the graphics better?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:10:56 AM »
Are there hi-res textures already out there that I can dump in my texture folder to make the graphics better?

Search for HR4 and CTP.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 03:31:10 AM »
I'm sorry to say i disagree with this vote mainly because one reason!

when you make a map. you should have your own darn textures and your own darn hr4 textures too!  lazy bums! if people spent the time to make textures for there maps. then it would all be put on the map editors shoulders.

pak files for maps!  should be the new final version of a map. including in it. description\thumbnail\ map\textures\models\sounds\scripts\env

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 03:37:18 AM »
if there is high res does this mean my peice of crap computer will lag to hell?

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 03:56:30 AM »
well their is an option to enable\disable high res textures in the menu's. soo if they do lag your computer. then you can turn them off.

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »
ok. now ill switch my vote to yes

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 08:09:33 AM »
I'm sorry to say i disagree with this vote mainly because one reason!

when you make a map. you should have your own darn textures and your own darn hr4 textures too!  lazy bums! if people spent the time to make textures for there maps. then it would all be put on the map editors shoulders.

pak files for maps!  should be the new final version of a map. including in it. description\thumbnail\ map\textures\models\sounds\scripts\env

You'd still be able to include your own textures, there would just be default versions of the DEFAULT high and low res textures, and those are the only ones that would be checked. He never said anything about forcing mappers to use the pball textures