Author Topic: Ambient Lighting  (Read 2824 times)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
Ambient Lighting
« on: February 29, 2008, 07:26:20 AM »
I was looking at a lot of websites and the forums and I was wondering how I add consistent lighting to my map, even if there arn't any lights. Any ideas? Oh, and I was wondering if someone could link a r_speeds tutorial on reducing them.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
Re: Ambient Lighting
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »
use sun properties(_sun_angle) etc, and the light entity(looks ugly without something that should be emitting light going with it..)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:46:40 AM »
For low r_speeds, don't make large open areas and don't make to many details.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:01:51 AM »
I've read a lot of stuff on r_speeds and apparantly, the engine can see round 1 corner at a time, so just 1 brush in the way doesn't really reduce r_speeds. Also, the further the engine can 'see' the higher the r_speeds. True?

I don't use the light entity, I just make a thing that vaguely looks like a light and use the surface properties, or si that the same?

Is there a list of different sun properties anywhere and can I use _sun_angle and others in the worldspwn so that theres light everywhere (i'll put lights in as well - I just need a bit of a boost in some dark spots without having to put a light brush there.)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »
Type "gl_showtris 1" in your console. That's what you can see atm.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »
Ahh, so thats what the r_speeds REALLY are. Very helpful. Thank you, cheffy

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »
I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you were trying to add lights without adding things that look to be omitting lights. the way you are doing it is the preferred way. For more consistant lighting just use arghrad's sun properties :)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 03:08:02 PM »
but will brushes block the sun? If so, is there any way (apart from using brushes that emit light) to make light everywhere? Like when you compile it using qbsp?

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »
Of course brushes block sun, that's how shadows are made >.> if you want uniform lighting use qbsp vis, it will look like garbage though

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »
_sun_ambient is everywhere.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 04:25:50 PM »
_sun_ambient is everywhere.

Yeah, but the way he put it, he wants uniform lighting without any extra lighting.. I may be misinterpreting again :P

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 10:07:40 AM »
Just for those who mis-interpret: I have lights in my map. There are a few dark spots that I want gone without putting any light entities there. Is there a way to put a certain amount of light (small amount) EVERYWHERE so that there arn't any pitch black areas? I want uniform lighting, BUT I want to use light brushes (surface properties, etc) to boost lighting in certain places. CAN I DO THIS?!?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »
_SUN_AMBIENT?!?!?!??!?!?!!!?!?!?!?>!>!>!?>!>!?!>!>?!??!

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »
actually, _sun_ambient only affects places that can see the sky. It will clear up OUTDOOR shadows but not indoor shadows. Also it will look really ugly, it will still look splotchy and gross, it's not a good solution. A good solution is to add lights.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 10:27:08 AM »
_sun_ambient only affects places that can see the sky.
Which is exactly why I don't want to use it!! GIVE ME SOMETHING THAT GIVES CONSISTENT LIGHT ALL OVER AND I'LL ADD IN LIGHT FOR SOME PARTS THAT NEED IT!!!

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »
Doesn't exist afaik, I'm sorry if I seem rude but suck it up or don't bother mapping. use the light entity with really dim cool light to make it look like the areas are ambiently lit, it's all about visual tricks.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 01:23:59 PM »
You can do global ambient light with the '_ambient' key in the worldspawn. (Or 'light', actually, they're exactly the same)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 01:35:29 PM »
You can do global ambient light with the '_ambient' key in the worldspawn. (Or 'light', actually, they're exactly the same)
That is exactly what I'm looking for. Why did no one mention this?!?