Author Topic: Aldi Market - New Map  (Read 7262 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Aldi Market - New Map
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 03:03:27 PM »
I think you should keep the double jump to the vent. That is a fairly cheap entrance and should be hard to get too. I think it should be even harder than it is. DoP had two people in there almost every round.
The problem is, if you make it very difficult and, say, only 2% of players can get into the vent, it makes it very easy for that 2% to grab the flag and severely knocks the balance out of whack.  The other 98% have little chance against them.

All paths should be accessable to every player, and you should balance the paths out.  Making it more difficult doesn't balance it out.  It simply reduces the number of players capable of taking the path, which, in fact, does just the opposite of making the map more balanced.

Perhaps instead of having a trick jump to the ladder, you could have a path that requires the player to expose himself to the defending team and work his way around on the rooftops to the ladder or something, so it wouldn't be such a trivial drop down and grab.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 03:31:08 PM »
Decent map. vent is too easy to get to.. and the map is too dark in some places.

Also, as DT said, some of the cap points are too close.

But not bad, overall.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 03:53:31 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:05:15 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 10:31:14 PM »
I disagree.  What somebody lacks in skill they should be able to make up for in strategy.  There are a number of players who have been around for a while who still can't do some trick jumps.  Perhaps they haven't put as many hours into practicing, or perhaps they lack the timing/coordination to do jumps consistently.  In any case, blocking off an alternative path into the base to them does not improve the game play.

Even dealing strictly with new players who don't know how to do trick jumps yet -- what makes the game more interesting: newbies coming into limited, accessable entrances, or players entering from any and every possible route such that you actually have to work as a team to fend them off and cover all of your bases?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 10:57:02 PM »
I disagree. What somebody lacks in skill they should be able to make up for in strategy.

That's not true. What use is cutting off someone if you can't smack them in the face with your balls?

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 04:21:57 AM »
i took out some unnecessary things, to hold the size low.. and i took out the trickjump to the ladder, u can still go to the vent: on the roof of the little warehouse, with the barrier, and inside of the aldi, with a jump, i think as same difficult like the one bevore... have a look at the map.

i think it needs that..

and in the tunnel, the defense can go until the mid, and there u can save the flag too

texture scaled up :D

map still compiling.... will post it soon

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 11:30:48 AM »
lol jit.. All you ever think about is how to make it EASIER for people.

How about making them LEARN how to do things that aren't so easy?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
It certainly won't make it easier for the defending team if everybody can go through all the routes.

digi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 03:08:32 PM »
Everybody CAN go through all the routes. You just have to learn how.. That's usually how things work. When you start something you aren't supposed to be able to do it perfect off the bat.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 03:47:20 PM »
It's the same like the backdoor jump in Castle1. Just a few good players can go to the 2nd flag on this fast way. All the so called "newbies" have to go through the main base were the opportunity to be shot is much bigger.
In that case, no one is complaining that newbies can't do this trick jump, so it must be the same on Aldi.bsp.
There should always be some kind of an extra path for those how are pretty good. Otherwise the game will become boring very fast ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 08:51:45 PM »
I think the gameplay on castle1 would be a lot more interesting if everybody was able to use the back door.  Not everybody has 6+ years experience playing the game, and most people probably never will.  So why limit the gameplay of those who don't play as much, or for those playing against the ones who don't play as much?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 10:45:30 PM »
Wow, about time.

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 05:07:09 AM »
Because its just fair that the people who has trained mroe and harder than others can do those jumps.

AYNONE who wants to be able to those jumps can train them, if they dont want to learn them , they probably dont wanna get any better.

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2005, 05:17:03 AM »
When I began to play paintball, about 1 year, I also know nothing about the diffucult and important things I had to learn. The most important thing for me was to train the first jump in lostjump, i tried it once, twince.. 20 times.. 40 times.. and that was how i began to learn how it works, how i had to move. I became a nice player I think, and thats not because I did nothing, its because I wanted to learn what other players were able to do...

the aldi-version little smaller... aldi_s.bsp (s for smaller as the last...)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 07:50:55 AM by Pimp »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2005, 07:15:01 PM »
eh some people dont have time to learn....let alone spend countless hours trying to make certain jumps. Besided those jumps were exploited found out and not part of the map makers orignal design. According to what I have read by S8n, regarding backdoor C1. Also I was told along with knowing how to jump there was somthing about having the correct FPS or somehting like that. What???

Dont get me wrong I understand your point and as unfair as its seems to not have these jumps, its even more unfair to those (and its a majority) who for whatever reason can not make those jumps.

blaa.ee

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2005, 08:03:04 AM »
aldi_s is very good map.
The jump to vent is easy, when u know the start point and know how to double jump and strafe of course.

When you've grabbed the flag and then going underground to steal, it sometimes is too hard to fall down :S.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2006, 08:47:19 PM »
OK, just got around to checking out aldi_s.  The lighting seems to be better, but those roadmark textures are still scaled down to small.  I noticed another problem with them -- not only do they increase the r_speeds a lot, but they make paint stains really slow.  If I throw a grenade out in the parking lot, it gets really choppy.  You really need to scale those up.

Edit: also, it's still looking for aldi/cementwall as a texture.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:16:20 PM by jitspoe »