Author Topic: New map : Do not stop  (Read 2218 times)

WaVe

• PGP
New map : Do not stop
« on: March 08, 2010, 03:03:24 PM »
Do not stop

- CTF - 2 flags per team + one white.
- Small, jummpy map.
- Designed for 1s, 2s, probably 3s.
- Yellow and purple teams.
- Ice jumps.

What should I add or change in this map.

PS It's my first map.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hjhs3h

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
Re: New map : Do not stop
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 03:38:16 PM »
Two flags per team and a white flag in a small map sounds interesting. I tested it when i made anubis (big open map), but 5 flags were definitely too much for it :)

I will look at the map later.

Edit1:

Renamed to dns_b1.bsp

Online and in the rotation: [OTB] Beta - 83.169.4.183:22222

Edit2:

The black wall and the sky looks weird together.

The second flag should be placed more newbie friendly.

That i can't see the transparent textures is bad (for me :P), but not your fault.

Nice to see that the flag and the barrel textures are aligned. Maybe you could add some more textures...

All in all, it's ok for a first beta of your first map. No leak in a box and lighted :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:07:05 PM by Chef-Killer »

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
ugly

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
- CTF - 2 flags per team + one white.
1s, 2s

hard fail.

Wyze

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:01:43 PM »
From the screenies doesn't look like a good matching map. Not even a pub map. The final realease should barely have any ice jumps because if you read the map tutorial there shouldn't be any ice because it does ruin maps. Propaint 1 was a good map, thats the only exception. More than 1 ice jump on a map can lead to rage capping and thats what people try and get rid of when making a match map... Tried it, not half bad. But still not a great map. If you make a next map try and take away any ice or speed caps.

wyZe
Hope that helps.

Link to what every map maker should read: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=15898.0

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »
You are right Wyze. Ice pathes can ruin maps and I also don't like them. I would also say that this won't be a good match map, not only because of the ice pathes. I just don't get the feeling that the gameplay could be perfect ever on this map. But i think the most important thing for new mappers is to learn how a map works in bsp and ingame. There is no leak, the map is lighted and most of the textures are aligned. OK, most of the textures don't need to be aligned :P That's a realy good start for him though.

Wyze

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:52:25 PM »
You are right Wyze. Ice pathes can ruin maps and I also don't like them. I would also say that this won't be a good match map, not only because of the ice pathes. I just don't get the feeling that the gameplay could be perfect ever on this map. But i think the most important thing for new mappers is to learn how a map works in bsp and ingame. There is no leak, the map is lighted and most of the textures are aligned. OK, most of the textures don't need to be aligned :P That's a realy good start for him though.

I agree it is a good start. This should be one of your practice maps. I still haven't gotten out of the phase of my practice maps. I have attempted to create many maps, none have succeeded (yet). There is lots of things I learned from that link I gave out in my last post.
Read it.
Understand it.
Understand BSP.
Make good maps.
Thats about all you need to do before you can make  a good map. I did miss lots of steps but those are the very important ones.

wyZe
Link again (READ IT): http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=15898.0

WaVe

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:51:16 AM »
Thanks for your frank comments.
I know map isn't good, i spend on it only 1 day.

EDIT :
I cant load screens in this tutorial :/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:17:05 AM by WaVe »