Author Topic: Sound very very choppy  (Read 1120 times)

Myah

Sound very very choppy
« on: December 07, 2005, 02:29:21 PM »
hello I'm the administrator of MyMyah.com and Myah OS. I am coming out with a gaming CD since my full distro has full 3D support for ATI, nVidia, and TNT cards I figured might as well have a gaming CD. I currently have 44 3D games that are ready for my new distro. Paintball 2 is also going to be there since it's fun and doesn't take up to much space. Now I have had to figure out all kinds or things creatting a complete linux CD and adding features that most other linux distros don't have. Even though I'm new to the scene my OS is regared as one of the best Live CD out there. And I would like that to continue into the gaming CD.

I first had trouble with the mouse not working correctly. Even thought it's mentioned on the forum here the answer I guess was never added so I found out myself how to fix that.

Now the sound is just horrible. It's like if you only hear a mooris code version of the sound. It's like its getting turned on and off. I'm getting no errors that I see. And I have had no other games or programs having trouble with sound at all. I can tell you that my distro is Slackware based, with 2.6.12.2 kernel, Running on a Dell inspiron 9100 laptop with ATI card. The rest of the games is running fine for my it's just the sound. I have tried searching google for any answers even looking on quake sites. I cann't find any answers and I would hate to have to cut the game out because I cann't get the sound working properly. I'm using Alsa sound running under KDE 3.5 RC1 I wouldn't usually ask as I can figure out most problems on my own. But I'm getting no where. I even tried going into the game to ask but no luck.

Myah

Re: Sound very very choppy
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 02:34:49 PM »
Oh yeah I noticed that the sound initialization alwasy says 11025 even thought it should be higher I think the ingame says 44k I have tried changing it but always says 11025

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 05:53:26 PM »
Unfortunately it seems every linux user experiences a different problem with the game.  The game is still in development and linux support is fairly primitive.  Eventually, I'll get the OpenAL code working in Linux.  Perhaps that will work out better.  I'm also considering switching to an sdl base, but ironically the sound in the quake2 sdl port does not work for me.

I'm not sure why the sound is so choppy for you or if it's related to the sound init code displaying 11khz.  I'll have to take a look at it on my system and see if it also runs at 11khz.  I'm running Debian and the sound and mouse movement work properly.  What did you change to get the mouse working on systems w/o dga?

Also, how often do you release CD's?  As I mentioned, this game is still a work in progress, so there will be continual updates for a while.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 01:05:38 AM »
Ok, I think I found the problem with the 11khz thing.  Working on that now.  I'm not sure about the choppyness, though, but here are some cvars you can play with:

sndbits (16 by default)
sndspeed (try setting this to 44100 to get 44khz sound)
sndchannels (2 by default)
snddevice (/dev/dsp by default)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 01:26:55 AM »
I just tried using the ALSA code from the icculus CVS, but it ran at 3fps and there was no sound.