Author Topic: Sky Pissing Broadband  (Read 1263 times)

lekky

• Autococker
Sky Pissing Broadband
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »
So just got my new Sky broadband, and guess what, they block all outgoing emails apart from those sent from an @sky email address...

So I use the webmail extension for my hotmail and gmail accounts so they arn't affected, but my own domain email just won't send, something which is a minor pain for me, but for my housemate is totally unacceptable as he is self-employed and needs to send email from his own domain.

I tried ringing the support (based in the Phillipines btw), who, after getting through to the manager tried to say the problem was with Microsoft, and that I should try ringing their support. After explaining that I used Thunderbird, the conversation was effectively over as they had no clue what it was.

Any ideas what I should do, if this is even legal and how I could get around it?

EDIT: I use my own smtp server at localhost for outgoing email and this doesn't seem to help.

Smokey

• Autococker
Re: Sky Pissing Broadband
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:07:22 PM »
buy a cheap VPN.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:38:30 AM »
have 2.

So I was told to tunnel through to my server and send them that way, woohoo

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 07:01:06 AM »
who hosts your email server and your roomate's server?

If they are on a nix box, more than likely there is a web based front end, such as squirrel mail that will work.

Sounds like they are filtering all port 25.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:11:35 AM »
there isn't a webmail front end for us to use. to tunnel to my vps to send/recieve emails do i need to set up an smtp server on linux? and how could i do this?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:20 AM »
you could setup openvpn on your server and install a client on your pc, that way all of your traffic would be encrypted on a port other than 25.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 09:49:30 AM »
A lot of providers do this now in order to combat spam (so trojaned machines can't just spit out emails).  It's rather annoying, though, when you legitimately need to send email.