Author Topic: Primed Grenades  (Read 8234 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Primed Grenades
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2005, 02:43:30 AM »
I've started working on this.  I'm using the current grenade time, which is actually 2.5 seconds, not 2.  It's plenty of time.

Right now it's set up to use +tossgren, but unfortunately, it didn't work to simply bind it because the client tries to interpret it as a command, so I had to make an alias:

alias +tossgren "cmd +tossgren"
alias -tossgren "cmd -tossgren"
bind mouse3 +tossgren

I can make it an actual command on the client, but that will have to wait until the next release.  Other than that, all the basics pretty much implemented.

It's always fun to figure out the weird things that happen when something new is added.  For example, the weapon firing was stopped when the grenade was priming, but as soon as the grenade was released, the weapon fired in ultra-fast mode to catch up.

Hehe, one of the most fun things to do with these grenades is go kamikaze: keep holding it and rush toward your opponents.  It would be hilarious to have some new sound effects to go along with it. "ALALALALALALALALA!"

I've attached a couple demos for your viewing pleasure. :)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2005, 06:50:40 PM »
Sweet.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2005, 03:40:36 AM »
Test server up: paintball2://216.127.68.86:27916

At the moment you have to use an alias to get them to work.  Type the following in the console:
alias +tossgren "cmd +tossgren"
alias -tossgren "cmd -tossgren"
bind mouse3 +tossgren

Replace "mouse3" with whatever button/key you want to use.  When the button is pressed, priming starts, and when it's released, the grenade fires.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2005, 10:56:06 AM »
Just "forced" a few guys that were on IRC to goto the server and play a round of roundup.  The primed grenades definately do take some getting used to, since everyone is so used to throwing them at a keypress.  A lot of the typical reflex grenade kills were eliminated because there were a delay on grenades thrown immediately, but with some patience the grenades could be strategically thrown (like towards the high path off of the main paths) so that they would suprise players passing by.

The one adjustment I quickly made was appending a hand-switcher to the +/-tossgren aliases so that it matched the behaviour of my hands while I shoot, but that's just a personal preference.  I guess a grenade wind-up model will have to be made for the hands, not sure how all that would work.

As for the gun trying to catch up after a long grenade prime, looks like you fixed that becuase it didn't seem to be happenning to the cockers, didn't try with the pgps though.

Another thing that was noticed ont he server is the time in the socreboard counts down from -500.

I'd like to see what myself and others think after a few more maps, and once everyone get their alias bind working :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2005, 12:10:08 PM »
Yeah, that's all been fixed -- I just put up a demo to show the "fun stuff" I have to figure out when adding new features.

I'm not sure what's with the counting down from -500, though.  Where was that?  Perhaps it was just a side effect of the server not being used for a while.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2005, 08:43:35 AM »
well, I have seen the negatives time count several times already, on different servers... didnt care much about it tho, as it will function properly after mapchange.