Author Topic: The Center of the Universe...  (Read 1314 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
The Center of the Universe...
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:33:08 AM »
I have often wondered where the center of the universe is.
If you attempt to search this on the internet you get the same lame quack answer, nowhere and everywhere.

Read that...it's the canned answer pretty much:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/astronomy/faq/part9/section-5.html

I don't buy it. Surface of a balloon?

If the BBT is correct then:
From the singularity everything expanded outward. That means there is an outer shell of expansion, all the way through our universal radius to the center point where the singularity began growing from.

Even if everything is moving away from everything else...blah blah blah...then if our galaxy was 60 percent out from the center of the singularity then it should be so now and there should be a center point.

What about that idiotic balloon surface theory, which is stupid because i'm fairly certain everything in our universe is not on the surface of some expanding sphere. Even if you were to consider this you would have to agree that the surface is equally moving away from a common center point.

If we reversed the expansion of our universe in FFW we would, at the final moments, be able to easily see that we are, on OUR side of the center, moving in a definite direction towards the center with all of our neighbors, and that, on the other side of the center there are a great number of objects converging on the same point.

I imagine the only viable argument is that in order for there to be a center to our universe there has to be something for our universe to reside in, in order to form the three dimensional expanding universal sphere that has an outer expanding shell and a center to expand from.

Why don't they ever say, "We just don't meddling know," instead of making up excrement, convincing everyone its true. We are no surface of a balloon, I know that much.

teehee

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
Re: The Center of the Universe...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:54:08 AM »
Am I right in saying that there is a blac hole at the centre of our universe or am I thinking of galaxy?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
Supposedly, there is a black hole at the center of each galaxy. The black hole is caused by all the matter being swept into the center, binding together, and forming a mass with a gravitational field so strong that even light can not escape.

They have actually advanced instrumentation to the point to where they can see the bright disk of matter just at the event horizon of our own galaxy. Previously they couldn't do this because the matter around the center is so dense and bright. By using an infrared polarization technique they can block out the wavelength of light of the outer disk of matter and reveal what's beneath it.

Did you know:
With the above infrared polarization technique they have discovered that out Milky Way galaxy is currently colliding with another galaxy?
http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/images_ri/canm-e.html

Also, did you know:
Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way
Sun's location

The Sun (and therefore the Earth and Solar System) may be found close to the inner rim of the Galaxy's Orion Arm, in the Local Fluff or the Gould Belt, at a hypothesized distance of 7.62±0.32 kpc from the Galactic Center.[28][29][30][31] The distance between the local arm and the next arm out, the Perseus Arm, is about 6,500 light-years.[32] The Sun, and thus the Solar System, is found in what scientists call the galactic habitable zone.

The Apex of the Sun's Way, or the solar apex, is the direction that the Sun travels through space in the Milky Way. The general direction of the Sun's galactic motion is towards the star Vega near the constellation of Hercules, at an angle of roughly 60 sky degrees to the direction of the Galactic Center. The Sun's orbit around the Galaxy is expected to be roughly elliptical with the addition of perturbations due to the galactic spiral arms and non-uniform mass distributions. In addition the Sun oscillates up and down relative to the galactic plane approximately 2.7 times per orbit. This is very similar to how a simple harmonic oscillator works with no drag force (damping) term. Due to the higher density of stars close to the galactic plane, these oscillations often coincide with mass extinction periods on Earth, presumably due to increased impact events.[33]

It takes the Solar System about 225–250 million years to complete one orbit of the galaxy (a galactic year), so it is thought to have completed 20–25 orbits during the lifetime of the Sun and 1/1250th of a revolution since the origin of humans. The orbital speed of the Solar System about the center of the Galaxy is approximately 220 km/s. At this speed, it takes around 1400 years for the Solar System to travel a distance of 1 light-year, or 8 days to travel 1 AU.

Unbelievable, the magnitudes spoken here.
Oh so every small are we. Insignificant in the picture as a whole.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
weee double post..........

Thought I would share this...veeerrrrrry insteresting if you really think about things like this...

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »
I used to ponder the same question, except not where is the center, but how big is "space".

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:46:42 PM »
used to?
you don't anymore?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
Makes my head hurt

* KnacK still has nightmares about Carl Segan saying "billions and billions..."

I no longer think about it as I has resigned my self that space is infinate.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 01:41:06 PM »
*Big QI buzzer goes off*

Quote from: Dr. Chuck Missler
One of the greatest discoveries of 21st century modern science is that the universe in finite... There is a limit to how big or small anything can be... the smallest length is 10^-35cm...the smallest length of time is 10^-38seconds

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »
hmm

Planck time is the smallest unit of time measurement at 10^-43 seconds

Planck length is the smallest measurable length at 1.6 × 10^-35 meters

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »
Plank time and length...THAT we know of, or can comprehend.
The possibility that our universe is the cellular makeup of a brain in some larger being meaning that in each of our brains could possibly be a universe kind of makes me think we don't even have a clue.

Take the Quark, for instance. It's one of the smallest things known to man. Logic tells us that it has to be made of something. Everything is made of something. I think there is no end, inward, or outward. But if there were some limit, I think it would be in the form of a loop. The biggest is the smallest, etc...

EDIT:
And if you think about it, however painful that may be, if our universe was some cranial domain it would make sense. The expansion of our brainiverse could equate to the growth of a child's brain. Synapses (galaxy clusters if you will) form and come to life, then will eventually die with age or trauma. Keep in mind that time in the reference of the owner of this brain would be much different to us. Our entire galaxy may be born and die in what would equate to less than a blink of an eye to this being. It's all about energy. It's entirely possible, and we, as a race, will probably never know much concretely beyond our solar system.