Author Topic: gTalk/ Instant Messaging Programs  (Read 2345 times)

Garrett

• Autococker
gTalk/ Instant Messaging Programs
« on: May 17, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »
I just downloaded it and was wondering if anyone else uses it and does it have any advantages over other Instant Messaging Programs.

I am thinking of trying other programs too, like pidgin and some other program like pidgin but I forget the name of the top of my head. 

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: gTalk/ Instant Messaging Programs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »
Pidgin is a little different.  Its one of the clients that can communicate on just about any network (15 "out-of-the-box", more if you use extensions/addons).  But I would definitely recommend it.  I use it all the time for six different networks (xfre [addon needed], AIM, GTalk, YIM, MSN, and ICQ) on my desktop and I haven't had any issues with it.

One of the other programs you are thinking about is most likely Trillian.  I don't use it because it only supports YIM, ICQ, AIM, and MSN, and it isn't cross platform (I don't think).

Oh, and I just though I'd throw this out there.

Trillian:

Pidgin:

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:26:21 PM »
Plus, Pidgin does a fantastic job of making all the littler technical details much less important-- You're just talking to your contacts, and they're talking to you. Of course, all of this information is easily accessible, but it's nice to not have to arrange things by AIM/MSN/whatever.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:11:01 PM »
If you use Pidgin, can you get rid of all of the other programs like AIM and Xfire and will Pidgin connect to all the networks i choose at once?  In other words, can I be on AIM, gTalk, and Xfire all at one time?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
Yes. I don't use XFire, and I don't know if the plugin is any good, but theoretically you can.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »
http://www.digsby.com/  <-- Thats the other program I couldn't think of.
http://lifehacker.com/375391/five-best-instant-messengers  <-- A review of the program.

I like the sounds of these programs.  Does the Xfire plugin for pidgin detect when you play games and record the amount of time you played and on what server?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »
I like the sounds of these programs.  Does the Xfire plugin for pidgin detect when you play games and record the amount of time you played and on what server?

Thats the one weak spot.  The Xfire plugin is rather limited on its features (at least, the version I have is).  To my knowledge, it does not detect the games correctly, or work ingame like xfire does.  Nor does it send stats back to xfire.com.  That'd be an interesting project though.  :P

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 10:41:43 PM »
Oh yes it would.  Although I like pidgin and this new program in theory, I don't see the need for an upgrade for me yet because Xfire is my main instant messaging program.

I am though, looking for a program that will just forward the messages from my computer to my phone in an SMS message and I can then respond to this message and it will then be sent to the person who sent the message in the first place.  I have unlimited texting but not unlimited data charges so the instant messaging programs that come with my phone are a no go due to the fact they will cost me an arm and a leg.

Does gTalk have any special features that will make it worth the space on my hard-drive?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »
Real men use net send.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
Real men use net send.

Or in my case, smoke signals

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »
Oh yes it would.  Although I like pidgin and this new program in theory, I don't see the need for an upgrade for me yet because Xfire is my main instant messaging program.

I am though, looking for a program that will just forward the messages from my computer to my phone in an SMS message and I can then respond to this message and it will then be sent to the person who sent the message in the first place.  I have unlimited texting but not unlimited data charges so the instant messaging programs that come with my phone are a no go due to the fact they will cost me an arm and a leg.

Does gTalk have any special features that will make it worth the space on my hard-drive?