Author Topic: Committee Re-Election Criticism  (Read 2757 times)

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
Committee Re-Election Criticism
« on: June 19, 2008, 04:21:16 PM »
What exactly was the point of requiring people's valueable time and thought with a multi-question application, when it quite clearly had little to no influence at all in the selection process? Next time just have applicants submit empty replies with their name, or 1 word answers to all the questions (which is, apparently, good enough of an application to be reelected).

Next time, the community should most certainly be allowed to vote for their representatives, as opposed to allowing the currently elected committee complete and utter control over its own selection process (there's a reason why this is internationally frowned upon as proper governmental procedure).

That is, after all, if we are truly interested in accurately reflecting our entire community with this committee, and not just gather a group of highly agreeable, non-argumentative peers for the sake of easy decision making.

IronFist

• Autococker
Re: Committee Re-Election Criticism
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
I don't see why there are even periods of servitude. With the way things are, the committee appears to be where you leave non-trivial problems at for a solution. It is not a "by the people, for the people" sort of setup. The problem is, I think there is actually the idea that's what is going on.

I think it should be made more clear that the committee is simply a collection of staff members to deal with hairy problems. Good members should stay forever, bad ones get ejected. Who decides that? Jitspoe, and maybe people he delegates in the staff. I don't see why you even need to try to make it look community-oriented.

I don't think a self-electing committee can really be considered community-oriented. I also don't think it needs to be community-oriented, since you will end up voting idiots in too often. Just acknowledge what it actually is, which is not a bad thing in itself.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 05:06:57 PM »
I don't think a self-electing committee can really be considered community-oriented. I also don't think it needs to be community-oriented, since you will end up voting idiots in too often. Just acknowledge what it actually is, which is not a bad thing in itself.

I agree 100%.  I don't want to just repeat what you're saying, but from what I've seen thus far the committee has really had a need to be 'representative of the community' ... it just needs to be level headed people.  Perhaps some information will eventually (hopefully) come out from behind closed doors to reveal otherwise.   
*Goes back to not playing the game*
edit: </joke> ..

On a side note, wafflez, See IronFists's reply for an example of a constructive post.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »
The choices weren't based solely on the application responses, but that doesn't mean they had no influence.  The reason for the detailed applications was to both allow us to make a more informed decision about somebody we weren't very familiar with as well as make the applicants aware of what they were volunteering for.  If you are unhappy that Olbaid was selected, keep in mind that he has already been in the committee and has performed the necessary tasks in the past, so the whole application wasn't really necessary.  If you are unhappy that you did not get elected, it was primarily because we didn't think you would be able to dedicate enough time to it.  I hardly ever see you post on the message boards.  Given the limited number of people who applied, it didn't really make sense to have the whole community vote just to see which 4 or 5 people wouldn't be put on the committee.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »
...it was primarily because we didn't think you would be able to dedicate enough time to it.

Apparently that wasn't the only way you made decisions... :D

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 05:40:20 PM »
I'm not unhappy with Olbaid being elected at all, he is a member of my clan, eR33t.

I was just attempting to make a point regarding my interpretation of the weight of the actual 'application.' You are right -- I spend a fairly small amount of time on the forums, and usually only reply to topics I have particular interest in. With that said, though -- I am on IRC all day, every day.. and match regularly.. sometimes more than once in a night.

Did anyone even _read_ the applications? Haha, anyway -- I appreciate the input on the subject, but certainly don't agree that 'forum activity' constitutes the entire realm of community activity.  ;)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:49:56 PM »
Let me add my comment here about the applications.

I did read them all.  Those that put effort in I applauded them for their dedication in doing it in a mature effort.  Some did not. 
There were some great examples posted and I hoped that others would learn by example.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 10:55:52 PM »
I did not take time on my application only because I knew I did more than most of the current committee.  I figured that good percentage of them would have re-voted for me considering I did a better job than them, but unfortunately I was mistaken.  Out of 7 people who voted on the committee 3 of them voted against me, and I can only rationalize that they were voting against me because I normally disagreed with their views.