Author Topic: How many maps get into rotation? Could there be another outlet for creativity?  (Read 3207 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
There are a fair number of good looking map ideas coming out these days, with more emphasis on aesthetics. But how many of them actually get played?

It seems that folks have their favorites and rarely wish to deviate. Is DP map saturated?  Does the DP mapping community need another outlet for their creative energies?

I would really like to see a new game utilizing the basic DP framework (quake 2 engine, with most modifications). The maps could be built from the ground up to be more attractive, the height of the creative work done here.

I think the non-violent theme that DP has is a good trend. Perhaps a lazer tag game could be made that would utilize the quake2/dp engine. If it implemented tripping and straight line laser fire it would be easier for noobs to pick up on. I think it could be mostly for Death Match.  Emphasis could be placed on game-play and aesthetics, but not simply trick jumping. Therefore it would be different enough from DP that it would not cannibalize the membership. It  would be a different style.

I would see a far different texture base with more tech looking maps and less grass and wood.

Anyone think it could be done, or would be worthwhile? Would any of you all want to make maps for such a game?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 06:34:53 PM by m7feettall »

Silly

• 68 Carbine

skitzo

• Autococker
the laser tag game idea sounds interesting, if i could make maps i would for it but i like the idea

iced

• 68 Carbine
sounds like a good idead but dp>laser tag

m7feettall

• Autococker
Forgot one other element, could be mostly deathmatch, which is a weakness of dp. Edited that into the introductory post.

skitzo

• Autococker
Don't forget Team Elimination, probably would be the best mode for a laser tag game.

Also, M7 "You've got mail!"

Apocalypse

• Autococker
Sounds fun I'd be glad to help out if you actually go ahead with this you may want to follow this guide.

Garrett

• Autococker
+1 on the laser tag idea.  Would be a very fun game though the only aspect that would be boring is you really can't incorporate different guns so the same gun would be used every time with every person.
EDIT:  If anyone wants to make a laser tag game, I would love to help out.  Have played laser tag alot in my day so I would be able to help make maps if this game ever does go into production.
EDIT EDIT:  Sorry for off topicness  :P

m7feettall

• Autococker
I haven't the faintest technical knowledge. This is just a concept that others might want to take up. I am wondering for those who do have technical knowledge, what it would take.

Obviously you would need player models and gun models. You would need a base texture pack. You would need at least a slightly redesigned HUD. We have already seen some tech digital readouts on the hud, etc.  You would need to work out the type of pick-ups used.

I am sure there are a number of other things that would need to be done behind the scenes that I have no clue about. But if the community worked on it as a compliment to dp, a mostly dm, futuristic type mod, it might be fun.

Silly

• 68 Carbine
laser tag in DP, well that just makes it EVEN more realistic [/sarcasim]

m7feettall

• Autococker
It would not be in dp. It would be its own game.

Garrett

• Autococker
It would not be in dp. It would be its own game.

A mod of a mod per say?

m7feettall

• Autococker
A mod of a mod per say?

Essentially yes.  A community project.

Eiii

• Autococker
That doesn't really make any sense. If anything, our focus as a community should be on paintball. Plus, laser tag would be/is boring. Instagib! Yay! You sure can't get that in UT99.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
ball_speed 999999

Kekekeke.

Eiii

• Autococker
And enable bouncing.