Author Topic: [WIP] - kalq3_beta1  (Read 2579 times)

KalTorak

• PGP
[WIP] - kalq3_beta1
« on: December 29, 2005, 07:32:58 PM »
[kalq3_beta1.bsp] supposed to be a remake of some q3 ctf map, but i colored way outside the lines this time...  ;D

kalq3_beta1.zip

because of the amount of time it took to compile i want to make sure theres no beta 2, only a final version.   ;)

known bugs: i forgot to make the ladders climbable...  ::)  yeah... "forgot"... -- you newbs shouldn't be in the towers anyway!  ha!  oh, and some barrels are the wrong color... i'm lazy.

i'll eventually fix it, for now just have fun  ;D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: [WIP] - kalq3_beta1
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 04:08:46 PM »
Just looking at the screenshots, the reflected light looks way too bright.  Are you using the b15 BSP pack?  How long did it take to compile?  If you have a number of known errors, you shouldn't try to move from beta1 to final right off the bat.  You should really keep making betas until it's done, then rename the last beta to the final version.  Inevitably there will always be something that needs to be fixed.

KalTorak

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 10:13:58 PM »
i haven't been using the b15 pack (up until now) =]

when i said i wanna make a final copy, i meant like i wanna do a kickass job on it =]  its a fun simple map, hopefully i'll see it around in map rotations...

i dunno, does everyone go through little mapping sprees once in a while?  like, you just feel the urge to map?  lol  :P

ive been itching to make a map like just a room but it's scaled so the player feels like the size of a mouse.  are there any maps made like that?  i remember seeing a lot of maps like that, some with lots of detail (added .jpg files shouldn't be a problem with dp)  maybe if i take a bunch of pics of random stuff around my room to use it for the map -- only problem is i know that dp doesnt like big open areas (especially with my crappy gfx card)  -- just wondering if it has/can be done.  ;D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 12:00:04 AM »
The way to scale maps up is to scale the texture size up, too.  See bigarenaball.bsp for example.  This makes the compiler scale the lightmaps up and prevent the polygons from being chopped up so much.

SeZZ

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 03:08:43 PM »
looks good kal... its a nice speed map with nice design but  the stairs doesnt work i think !?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 12:20:18 AM »
Well, the layout seems ok, but I think there's a bit to be done as far as texturing, scale, and item placement (please do something besides spawning everybody with the best equipment).  Some of the things in this map are huge, like the X bunker in the bases has wood ~4 feet thick.  The ladder rungs are also like 4ft tall.  I know a lot of old maps are like this, but it would be nice if we could start aiming toward more realistic proportions on new maps.  Realistic texturing would also be nice.  You've used that plank wood texture a lot, and in most cases, it just doesn't make sense.  For example (see screenshot), it doesn't make sense to have multiple planks making a single ramp up against a box.  What would they be nailed into?  They'd have no support.  Also they're way to thick and sticking through the box, and the boxes are misaligned.

How long did it take to vis, and on what hardware?  It doesn't look too vis-unfriendly except for the center area, where both base entrances are visible from each other (the r_speeds are kind of high here).  If you did something to block that off, it might make vis a lot faster.  Perhaps I can help you out by compiling it on my new gaming machine once it's built.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 02:22:14 PM »
Spawn with equipment good or bad and ample paint. Think of the crowded public servers.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 02:59:29 PM »
Spawning with some equipment is fine, but it shouldn't be the best of everything.  There should always be some element of "rush vs. equip", I think.  Also, crowded servers are exactly the reason not everybody should spawn with autocockers -- way too many entities flying around, and crowded sprayfests just aren't that much fun, in my opinion.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 03:05:24 PM »
Ok think of the people leaving your map becuase they have no paint or equipment. Just make sure there is a balance. Enough weapons and ammo for a crowded server is always winner, for public play, in my opinion. ;)

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 10:01:26 AM »
Wow looks great so far, nice job Kal

-Termin8oR

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 06:27:38 PM »
Is this done yet?